Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Crack in the motor block

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
jipatton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Crack in the motor block

Postby jipatton » December 30th, 2017, 5:00 pm

I recently purchased a 1989 Carver Montego 2755 and was told by my mechanic that it has a crack in the block. I don't know much about boat motors so I'm asking for input on what I should do and guidance on what replacement motor I can buy. I want to make sure the mechanic doesn't rip me off. As far as I know my boat has a Volvo Penta 270hp motor in it currently.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Crack in the motor block

Postby Lyndon670 » December 30th, 2017, 11:09 pm

There are 2 ways to go. You can have this current motor rebuilt, and pay for a core charge as the block is cracked. They will use all of your existing components to build a replacement. Other option is to buy an off the shelf replacement. Michagan Motors seems to get a pretty good review online.

The other question you have to consider is - what is your investment in this boat to date and what is your boat worth? You are probably looking at $3500 for a replacement motor, probably $1000-1500 to do the swap, maybe another $500 for misc items.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 30th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Buy a 270 hp marine long block, swap the Volvo components and you're done. Cheapest way to go. I would consider upgrading to 5.7L though. Better engine IMO and they're the same block so you should be able to swap/use all your current hardware.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » December 31st, 2017, 8:16 am

When I had to replace a motor in my Carver I went with a Promar engines long block. It was a remanufactured long block and took them about a week to build. The process was great and they were a great company to work with. After 160hrs on it runs great. I think my 454 was around $3300 or something like that. Since your block is cracked you will need to pay the core charge. Also they required changing all oil lines, cooler, and required using break in oil with zinc (they had a list to choose from) in order to get the 2 year unlimited hour warranty.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 31st, 2017, 10:59 am

If you're going to use your existing distributor and carb, you should have them rebuilt before installing on the new engine, or replace them with new ones if needed. If they're not in good shape, they may cause a major failure.

Do you know why the block is cracked, was it due to freezing? If not, you need to find out what caused it to crack or you may be introducing a new block into a preexisting problem that might cause it to fail prematurely. If this happens, the supplier won't honour the warranty.

Topic author United States of America
jipatton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby jipatton » January 3rd, 2018, 1:44 am

Thanks for the input!

My total investment into this so far is only $6,500 and I'm not sure what I could get out of it if I sold it as is. I've already replaced the trim motor and carb. I've looked at the Michigan Motorz website, but am not sure which engine is a suitable replacement.

As far as why it cracked, is there a good way to figure that out?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 3rd, 2018, 7:12 am

jipatton wrote:Source of the post......I've looked at the Michigan Motorz website, but am not sure which engine is a suitable replacement.....

Give them a call, they should be able to help with that. At the very least, it'll give you an idea of the cost and how it compares to what you're marina/mechanic charges for the same thing. Something to consider is that if you buy the engine and have someone else install it, if the engine fails under warranty, you'll have to deal with the supplier. Depending on what caused the failure, the supplier may point the finger at the installer and the installer will point the finger at the re-builder, and you're stuck in the middle trying to get a resolution. Even if it's a supplier problem, the mechanic will charge you for follow-ups. The supplier will likely not compensate you for the labour. If you get the mechanic or marina to supply the motor and it fails, it's all on them to make good at their expense. It may cost a little more but worth it in the end if something goes wrong.

jipatton wrote:Source of the post.....As far as why it cracked, is there a good way to figure that out?

Your mechanic should be able to determine that. Depends on where the crack is. Is it raw water cooled or fresh water cooled (coolant)? Is this fresh water or salt water application? Are you in an area that requires winterizing? If so, that's the most likely reason. It may have been neglected or not done properly, and if the crack is a big smile on the side of the block, it froze.

I recommend adding your location to your profile, it'll tell us a lot about the environment you're in and help when answering questions.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » January 7th, 2018, 7:25 pm

There is a place in Mass. that sells new and rebuilt long blocks. They required no core for my Crusader 5.7L's, had them in 2 days two. I have the 02-long blocks I replaced for sale at core value of $ 1K if your interested. The former starboard engine needs rod bearings replaced at the least.
Last edited by mjk1040 on February 9th, 2018, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter