Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Port Engine Overheating

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 350 Mariner 1997

Re: Port Engine Overheating

Postby RickieT » March 31st, 2018, 2:46 pm

How much DexCool should I purchase to fill back up when I install the heat exchanger? 1 gallon? 2 gallons?

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » April 8th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Had the bottom of the boat cleaned and the diver found a big plastic bag in the intake. cleaned the heat exchanger and filled with new coolant. Hopefully this took care of it. Praying the new impellers aren't ruined from the bag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 9th, 2018, 4:32 am

Rickie; which pickup had the bag in it? Each engine has it's own pickup. The closed cooling system may need to be bled off to properly fill the system, look for a brake type bleeder screw, if not you may still see overheating. I thinking you are getting to the root of your issue. If your getting premixed antifreeze I'd get 2 gallons. Good luck man!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » April 19th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Took the boat out both had perfect temps at higher speed! All is good now...at least for now...lol

Thank everyone for all the input!

Rick

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 19th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Until the next issue!!! Have a good season!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
dtlag
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406 Aft Cabin Motor Yacht

Postby dtlag » December 12th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Rickie,

Did this fix your problem? I'm having the same problem on my Carver 406. The coolant disappears, but is nowhere to be found.

Thanks!!

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » December 14th, 2018, 11:43 am

dtlag wrote:Source of the post Rickie,

Did this fix your problem? I'm having the same problem on my Carver 406. The coolant disappears, but is nowhere to be found.

Thanks!!

I had the same issue, mine puked out of the radiator cap, I believe, and was evacuated out of the bilge by the pump.

The issue that I'm having is, my over fill reservoir will be near empty, I'll add a small amount, then it will puke out everywhere. It's done it three times now. I think what's happening with mine is, I have air in the system, and its burping its way out, but making a mess in the process. I don't really see an air bleed anywhere, so I guess I just have to deal with it for the time being.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 14th, 2018, 4:38 pm

The first thing would be to pressure test your closed cooling side........you want something a little more definite.....take a sample of your oil and a sample of your coolant....send to lab to look for products of combustion in the coolant and coolant in the oil....that will pretty much put to rest the issue of it maybe being a head gasket.

There are many other reasons for coolant dissappearing, coolers, exhaust, line leaks, bad pressure cap, etc......but consistent over pressure in there is fairly telling.

Dtlag, welcome to the forum.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 15th, 2018, 12:13 am

If your reservoir runs low and then over flows it may be riser gaskets or the heat exchanger. When the engine is cold you may have higher pressure on the raw water side letting water into the system. When it gets hot you would have your fresh water (anti freeze) bleed into the raw water system and out the exhaust. You may want to check and make sure you have sufficient freeze protection for the winter until you find and solve the problem.

Best of luck!

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » December 18th, 2018, 12:58 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post If your reservoir runs low and then over flows it may be riser gaskets or the heat exchanger. When the engine is cold you may have higher pressure on the raw water side letting water into the system. When it gets hot you would have your fresh water (anti freeze) bleed into the raw water system and out the exhaust. You may want to check and make sure you have sufficient freeze protection for the winter until you find and solve the problem.

Best of luck!

Thanks Tom. For the winter I always winterize the freshwater side of the motors, and after winterizing them I disconnect both ends of the heat exchanger and pull all of the block drains and riser/manifold plugs completely out. There's no sense leaving the RV antifreeze in the system where it's not needed. I'll see what I can do about pressure testing the manifolds and risers this spring. I think I just have air in the system, but I can't find any sort of bleed screw or way to get the air out of the closed loop, other than let it keep burping and refilling the reservoir.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”