Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Port Engine Overheating

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 350 Mariner 1997

Port Engine Overheating

Postby RickieT » January 23rd, 2018, 12:49 pm

Greetings,

Bought my first boat!!! Very excited and want to learn to do my own repairs, if at all possible. Have a 1997 350 Mariner with a 2 Crusader 350 XL engines. Starboard engine temp is perfect and port engine overheats when over 2200. Had a mechanic come in fill coolant check hoses and replaced both engine's impellers thinking that would do the trick. It's a little better but still overheats and white smoke emits from port engine. I'm thinking of trying Sea Flush with Barnacle buster or Salt Away on my own as a next troubleshooting step and last resort replacing the riser(s). Those are big bucks come to find out. I've been watching you tube videos on this process. Anyone have a link or tips for flushing all the crap that may be in the engine making it overheat? Do I need to remove the impellers when doing this chemical flush? Before I purchased the boat it had sat for a long while...

Many thanks

Rick

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Port Engine Overheating

Postby mjk1040 » January 23rd, 2018, 2:49 pm

OK Rick; I assume u have closed cooling by ur narrative. White smoke suggest u are burning the antifreeze. Head or intake gasket is bad. A cooler is bad and letting anti freeze into the exhaust via the raw water system. Does ur antifreeze level drop over time? Now ur in salt water I take it and replacing exhaust manifolds is common about every 5 years or so. How long did it sit on the dry? Can u post a pic of the smoke sometime? The Barnacle buster etc. can just be put in a pail and sucked in with the fresh water pumps. Let it stand in the engine for a good period of time, then just fire it up to flush out the junk. But as I said true white smoke indicates ur burning antifreeze. Keep us posted.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » January 23rd, 2018, 3:46 pm

If the exhaust system hasn't been changed between 5 to 7 years, you should seriously consider getting that done.
Also, rod out the Heat Exchanger and replace the U-cooler.
You didn't post much info about your motors so I'm going with what I did on my Mariner.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 23rd, 2018, 3:50 pm

Rick.... Just to add to all above, your white "smoke" could just be steam from a flow restriction....chances are if you are burning antifreeze you will smell a sweet smell from the exhaust.....what did your mechanic say about the steam ?

edit , spellcheck correction.... :-D
Last edited by bud37 on January 23rd, 2018, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » January 23rd, 2018, 4:10 pm

RickieT wrote:Source of the post Greetings,

Bought my first boat!!! Very excited and want to learn to do my own repairs, if at all possible. Have a 1997 350 Mariner with a 2 Crusader 350 XL engines. Starboard engine temp is perfect and port engine overheats when over 2200. Had a mechanic come in fill coolant check hoses and replaced both engine's impellers thinking that would do the trick. It's a little better but still overheats and white smoke emits from port engine. I'm thinking of trying Sea Flush with Barnacle buster or Salt Away on my own as a next troubleshooting step and last resort replacing the riser(s). Those are big bucks come to find out. I've been watching you tube videos on this process. Anyone have a link or tips for flushing all the crap that may be in the engine making it overheat? Do I need to remove the impellers when doing this chemical flush? Before I purchased the boat it had sat for a long while...

Many thanks

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » January 23rd, 2018, 4:37 pm

RickieT wrote:Source of the post Greetings,

Many thanks

Rick

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » January 23rd, 2018, 4:37 pm

Here is the smoke/steam...

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » January 23rd, 2018, 4:41 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post OK Rick; I assume u have closed cooling by ur narrative. White smoke suggest u are burning the antifreeze. Head or intake gasket is bad. A cooler is bad and letting anti freeze into the exhaust via the raw water system. Does ur antifreeze level drop over time? Now ur in salt water I take it and replacing exhaust manifolds is common about every 5 years or so. How long did it sit on the dry? Can u post a pic of the smoke sometime? The Barnacle buster etc. can just be put in a pail and sucked in with the fresh water pumps. Let it stand in the engine for a good period of time, then just fire it up to flush out the junk. But as I said true white smoke indicates ur burning antifreeze. Keep us posted.

The boat just wasn't used a lot...it wasn't out of the water at all for a long period of time.

United States of America
throwback2
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 28 Voyager,twin small blocks,1991 Shamrock,350 Chevy now.
1973 Atlantic Craft 15, 2004 2 smoke Merc 40,
and a few other water toys

Postby throwback2 » January 23rd, 2018, 5:06 pm

Looks like steam to me.My suggestion would be to clean the oil cooler and heat exchanger. You'd be surprised what gets caught and grows.Also,get yourself a temperature scan gun ( Harbor freight $20-$30) and It can help you find where restriction(s) could be.

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » January 23rd, 2018, 5:19 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post OK Rick; I assume u have closed cooling by ur narrative. White smoke suggest u are burning the antifreeze. Head or intake gasket is bad. A cooler is bad and letting anti freeze into the exhaust via the raw water system. Does ur antifreeze level drop over time? Now ur in salt water I take it and replacing exhaust manifolds is common about every 5 years or so. How long did it sit on the dry? Can u post a pic of the smoke sometime? The Barnacle buster etc. can just be put in a pail and sucked in with the fresh water pumps. Let it stand in the engine for a good period of time, then just fire it up to flush out the junk. But as I said true white smoke indicates ur burning antifreeze. Keep us posted.

I think this is steam...I posted a youtube video of it and my gauges at the time it was overheating...it is in salt water...San Francisco Bay

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”