Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Port Engine Overheating

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Port Engine Overheating

Postby tomschauer » February 16th, 2018, 9:12 pm

As Mike mentioned you did have some flow previously. When you say your first attempt failed miserably, how long did you leave the engine run with no flow?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the impellers have a VERY short life without flow.
Hopefully they are still ok.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 17th, 2018, 4:36 am

Rickie; When the mechanic changed the impellers did u see the old port side impeller? Was it all in tack? Ask the mechanic, which I doubt, if he back flushed the system before putting the new impeller in. If the old impeller fell apart it could be plugging up the first path of the raw water flow at the cooler. Then again if the first path, cooler, is plugged up u may have to remove it and put it in the descaler bucket or replace it. You are going to have to start checking the entire flow pattern of the system looking for blockage.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author United States of America
RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 350 Mariner 1997

Postby RickieT » February 25th, 2018, 4:13 pm

I will dot that....many thanks

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » March 9th, 2018, 4:04 pm

I'm going to go back in and check the impeller again...I bet anything there's a piece of impeller in there. It's still overheating but not as bad after I flushed the heat exchanger.

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » March 15th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Food for thought...took the boat out again and at about 3000 the temp started rising. When I throttled down the temp went back down so definitely better then previous rides...but still running hot. I did notice that the coolant overflow bottle was full when we left and almost empty when we docked. Anything I need to troubleshoot or look for in that department. I did purchase an infrared thermometer, by the way. Still need to check impeller but maybe it's a coolant issue? What am I looking for on that end?

Many thanks

Rick

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 15th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Well Rick, if it were me , I would remove the heat exchanger from the boat , take to a rad shop and have it boiled ,inspected for cracks etc and pressure tested so once and for all you will be able to check that off the list ......because if it is not that and your coolant is going away then we are talking at the least some engine inspection......your issue sounds just like when your car rad is worn out......good luck man......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 15th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Rick, I believe I would seriously consider manifold and riser replacement. This would be the most likely place for both of these problems to originate. Overheating due to scale build up and coolant loss due to internal corrosion.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » March 15th, 2018, 11:14 pm

When I had coolant go missing, I rented a radiator pressure pump and noted it lost pressure, but there was no coolant anywhere to be found but it was going somewhere.
After some thought, I figured the pressured coolant was going out the exhaust when the engine was warm and running.
When the engine was off, the coolant went past the riser block-off plate and seeped into a couple cylinders.
I removed the plugs, taped a Q-tip to a chop stick and stuck it into each cylinder until I found the coolant.
If its older then 6 yr old, replace your exhaust system....

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 15th, 2018, 11:32 pm

I like the Q tip and chop stick trick!! Great idea.
If the like button worked, I would press it twice. :-D

RickieT
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RickieT » March 30th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Update: Brought the heat exchanger to a radiator shop and had it pressure tested and flushed out. Mechanic said it was about 30-40% clogged and all clear now. Going to put it back in and check the hoses and see if the engine overheats when I take it out on Thursday my day off...fingers crossed. I did look over maintenance records and the recently had new risers installed. Hoping that is true...

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”