Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dual Station Installation Errors

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
Eggbert
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Santa Cruz 2667

Dual Station Installation Errors

Postby Eggbert » March 30th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Over the years I discovered what I consider some slip-ups on my Carver Mercruiser installation. Mind you, as I am the third owner, it may be due to previous owners doing maintenance, repairs or modifications, however I doubt it. As they may affect some of you, I thought I’d mention them here.

The first item is about the gauges. For dual-station boats, such as my 2667 Santa Cruz, different oil pressure and water temperature sending units should have been specified when the Mercruiser system was ordered as each feeds two gauges vs. one. As they weren’t, the results are lower than normal water temperature and oil pressure readings.

It’s been many years since I corrected the oil pressure sender issue, so I had to look up the oil pressure sending units again. Best double check yourself before ordering. Retailers don’t like having electrical parts returned.

For the single station, the oil pressure sender unit was 815425T and should be replaced with 37293T for dual stations.

For the single station, the water temperature sensor was a 97258A1 and the replacement for dual stations is specified as P/N 49734. It does work, however if you look at the picture below you can see the dual-station unit has a smaller diameter thread. I think there was a Mercruiser part number for an adapter, however I just went to the plumbing section of the local hardware store and picked up a brass fitting that worked fine. I did loosen it slightly with the engine running to bleed out any air bubbles. No fuss, no muss.

Another issue with the installation is that the upper station Shift Lever should have the Shift Lever detent parts removed. When shifting back to Neutral, you want to rely on the Lower Unit detent as it was used when adjusting all the cables back by the engine. I removed mine and then tightened the Lower Unit detent adjusting screw a small amount so that I could feel it more easily from up top.

These were just a few things I discovered while working on my boat over the years. Hopefully the information may help someone.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Dual Station Installation Errors

Postby bud37 » March 30th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Eggbert wrote:Source of the post however I just went to the plumbing section of the local hardware store and picked up a brass fitting that worked fine

A little tip here, if you can try to get bronze fittings instead of the brass.....the brass can actually rot away and fail from the inside out....may not be too much issue there as a bushing but I thought to mention it as a general boat rule, especially valves at thru hulls......another good article, thanks....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”