Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Walter V Drive Systems Gearbox Q

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Re: Walter V Drive Systems Gearbox Q

Postby 390Express » May 22nd, 2018, 10:22 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post
390Express wrote:Source of the post ....I have the impeller belt, and water pump belt off of it. I planned to start it and run it for 3-5 min. at a time, a couple times, before I launch.....

Be careful here, it doesn't take long for the inside walls of your exhaust hoses to be destroyed when there's no water cooling them.

Thanks Viper, I keep it closer to 2-3 minutes of run time, with a careful hand on the glass portion of the exh system to make sure it's not getting too hot.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 22nd, 2018, 1:28 pm

Why not run it with water?? Then you can run it as long as you want.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » May 24th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Why not run it with water?? Then you can run it as long as you want.

No damn water or electricity at its current location. Marina won't let me launch it until I know it runs. It has to at least power itself to the dock, then I can really start working on it. I have heavy equipment to pull anything that needs to be pulled at the dock. P.I.T.A.!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 24th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Curious when you took that pan plug out....what all did you get out of the pan ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » May 27th, 2018, 1:07 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Curious when you took that pan plug out....what all did you get out of the pan ?

I drained it completely before pulling to pan plug. I got about another 2/3 - 3/4 of a quart out of the pan with the plug out. It really wasn't difficult at all. I kind of wish the factory would swap the dipstick from the middle to the outside, it would be a lot easier if the plug was located in the middle of the boat.

Because of the numerous ongoing projects this year, I likely won't mess with anything to do with oil drainage, but next year I will likely add a drain system. I'll probably add a T- at the elbow that has the dipstick, so I can do everything from the middle of the boat. A "T" fitting, shutoff valve, and some 3/8 brass piping, with a cap when not in use should make the job much easier, and drain more oil out of the system.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 27th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Heh there....just an FYI.....you may know but there is nothing Trojan about your boat cept the name, it is all Carver as far as I know....posted it here cause didn't want to misdirect the other thread......so it was all oil out the bottom of the pan , good stuff........
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 27th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Here is something may help .its a 95 but, check it out.......

https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... _95_v1.pdf

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » May 30th, 2018, 10:00 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Heh there....just an FYI.....you may know but there is nothing Trojan about your boat cept the name, it is all Carver as far as I know....posted it here cause didn't want to misdirect the other thread......so it was all oil out the bottom of the pan , good stuff........

Ha, yup, I'm aware. That's why I'm here, on the Carver forum. :drunk:

I only post the "Trojan" info, so people know the model I have. I believe Carver also made an Express during the same time frame. 3566 or something of the like?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”