Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Walter V Drive Systems Gearbox Q

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Walter V Drive Systems Gearbox Q

Postby Viper » April 25th, 2018, 8:18 pm

390Express wrote:Source of the post....to be clear, that is 1-2 cups worth of milkshake water/transmission fluid mix.....

If it's a milkshake, it's an indication that it was RUN with water in it, not from condensation since last used.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » April 27th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
390Express wrote:Source of the post....to be clear, that is 1-2 cups worth of milkshake water/transmission fluid mix.....

If it's a milkshake, it's an indication that it was RUN with water in it, not from condensation since last used.

The fluid mix is only milkshake due to being disturbed by the extraction pump. (hand-held pump) After about 20 minutes of sitting, It separates back to a water/ATF mix with a clear separation. Measuring the settled fluid, it's just under a 1/2 pint, approximately 1 cup of fluid. Looked like more in the bottle.

I was able to get the fitting off of the filter housing. I'll be able to take that to hardware store and hook up a fuel pump to suck out the rest of this gas. Buff/polish the hull under the rubrail, sand/scrape the bottom to prep for bottom paint, and bad gasoline extraction are the projects slated for this weekend. I'm going to be sore on Monday.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 29th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Hopefully you don't have a leak, but 1 1/2 cups of water is to much for condensation. Also, if it was condensation both gear boxes would have the same, or very nearly the same amount of water in them.
Keep a very close eye on it.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » April 29th, 2018, 7:54 pm

What a pain in the ass... :banghead:

For some reason fuel won't come out of the feed to the pump. Is it possible that it could be clogged, or could it be that it just requires HP pump for the EFI? Or could there be some other mechanical part that shuts off or otherwise closes or stops the feed if the pump isn't on? I blew on it, sucked on it, etc. Hooked a low pressure (carb pump) to it, nothing... After not getting anywhere there... I disconnected the return line. I was thinking that maybe the system was pressurized, or somehow unvented through that line. (like trying to blow into a pop bottle) I was able to blow into and out of the return line, :drunk: (had to be careful there...) but I couldn't get anything to draw out of the return line I'm guessing that pickup doesn't go to the bottom of the tank. I could hear air going in and out of the line, but no gas would come out. I don't know what could be causing the issue with not being able to get fuel out of the supply line, other than some sort of blockage, but I don't see how that line could be totally blocked?...

Lastly... I hooked a pump up to the fuel line that feeds the generator. This finally allowed me to get some gas out of the tank. I was frustrated, had a head ache, and probably mildly stoned at this point. I got two gallons out. The first had a clear and definite fuel/water separation (or ethanol, not sure which). I poured a small amount on the ground and the top half definitely still flammable. I didn't mess with trying to separate the top half from the watery/otherwise separated bottom half. The second gallon looked good, and smelled like gas.

Now, I'm faced with a small dilemma keep going, getting rid of untold amounts of gas, until it's completely dry, or fill it up with good gas, and mix with the old, but seemingly ok gas. I plan on hooking a battery up to it for the first time tomorrow to read the fuel gauge and check the fuel level. I'm hoping it's under 1/8 tank or so. The tank sounds pretty empty when I tap on it. I think I'll drain at least 10 more gallons, as long as I can get it out. (depending on pitch and pickup I may not be able to draw everything out)

It's definitely not the same, but what does anyone think about trying to cut the grass with the 2nd gallon in the lawn mower, and seeing what happens? Fairly simple fix if it peters out on me.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » April 29th, 2018, 8:02 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Hopefully you don't have a leak, but 1 1/2 cups of water is to much for condensation. Also, if it was condensation both gear boxes would have the same, or very nearly the same amount of water in them.
Keep a very close eye on it.

There is no internal trans cooler, correct? I'm hoping that if there is some sort of leak, I can take care of it without removing the transmission.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 29th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Regarding the fuel line....where the fuel line attaches to the tank fitting is or should be an anti siphon valve which is nothing more than check valve type device, looks just like a fitting with a barb....it requires some suction pressure to overcome the spring and could be stuck or clogged.....take it apart and check it out....may be the cause of what you are describing........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 29th, 2018, 8:26 pm

The feed lines from the tank have, or should have anti syphon valves at the tank outlet. They only open under a vacuum, so you cant blow into them.
If you can access the tank tubes you could temporarily remove these and install a plain barbed fitting, this would allow you to get most of the fuel out.
Also, at the bottom of your pick up tube there is an inlet screen, it could be plugged up. I do believe the returns are just stubbed a few inches into the top of the tanks.
I would really try to get the old fuel and water out. If not you will be having non stop nuisance issues for months, and will need to keep a case of fuel filters on hand.

As far as the trans cooler, I don't know. Viper may help with that one.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 29th, 2018, 8:46 pm

If you have Walter V-drives, each one has its own cooler built into the drive as I mentioned earlier. You may also have a separate cooler on each engine for the reduction/reverse gear that's attached to the engine, in addition you might also have a separate engine oil cooler, depends on the application.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » April 30th, 2018, 9:37 am

How can I tell if the anti-siphon valves are working properly or have gone bad? Also, can I key on (boat doesn't have keys, it just has push buttons) the fuel pump, to see if it's drawing fluid? I'm no longer worried about draining the tanks with the mounted fuel pump, but I would like to test them before trying to run the motors.

I'm not talking about the fluid in the Walter V-Drives, I'm talking about the fluid in the Borg Warner transmissions. The BW trans has no internal cooler, correct?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 30th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Correct. There is probably a cooler on the engine.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”