Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Suitable Fuel Filter

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 2687 Monterey

Suitable Fuel Filter

Postby dcrahn » April 7th, 2018, 8:09 am

I'm looking for a fuel filter to install between the tank and fuel pump. The pump is a Carter electric for a GM 5.7 with a 600 cfm carburetor. Most I see are 10 Micron that in my opinion are not suitable for the suction side of the pump and would cause cavitation and destroy the pump. On my race car I use a 100 Micron filter between the tank and pump, then a 10 Micron between the pump and carburetors. Are fuel filters on boats required to be USGA approved?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Suitable Fuel Filter

Postby Viper » April 7th, 2018, 8:26 am

What brand of engine are we talking about? Do you not have a filter assembly already in place? If so, you don't want to add even further restriction on the vacuum side or you could be increasing vacuum and cause runnability issues due to vapour lock. The conditions in your particular engine compartment, along with your current hardware will dictate how close you currently are to this red zone, adding an additional filter to that side along with more fittings may put you over the edge. If you already have a filter in place, why the extra one? What kind of carb? Did you check for a filter in the inlet of the carb?

If you're going to add another filter/assembly and you don't already have one, install a water separating fuel filter. Remember that filter assemblies with see-thru bowls are not allowed in a gasoline engine compartment so if you're getting an assembly with an interchangeable element in the middle, it can't have a see-through bowl. If you're getting a typical spin-on unit then no worries.

dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby dcrahn » April 7th, 2018, 8:54 am

As in my original post it's a GM 5.7. This for the new engine going in the boat, so I have no filter as of yet. The original engine which is still in the boat has a spin on Quicksilver filter that is mounted to a bracket on the starboard exhaust manifold. The original engine also had the old mechanical diaphragm stye pump so I don't know how well those two worked together.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 7th, 2018, 9:13 am

dcrahn wrote:Source of the post As in my original post it's a GM 5.7.....

I got that but the brand makes a big difference. You can use the same filter assembly off the old engine but I would try to retrofit it to a location lower on the engine. A newer setup would have been done that way with a cover over the filter assembly or a Cool Fuel system. Again these mods were efforts to minimize vapour lock. Sticking with the same assembly/filter will make it easy to get replacements as everybody will carry them: Mercury 35-802893T or Quicksilver 35-802893Q01. Or you could get fancy if you want a better setup and go with a Racor unit:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--10-micron-spin-on-series-fuel-filter-water-separator-i-o-320r--484972?recordNum=12

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 7th, 2018, 9:17 am

dcrahn wrote:Source of the post Are fuel filters on boats required to be USGA approved?

Here is some info regarding your question, hard to pick thru but may help.......

https://www.uscgboating.org/regulations ... YSTEM1.pdf
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 7th, 2018, 9:28 am

It's simple, get one that's designed for marine use and it'll conform to ABYC and USGA standards, then you won't have any red flags on your next survey, or safety concerns. Check the "Key Features" of the Racor I posted above.

If you're re-using the assembly off the old engine, you're all good.

dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby dcrahn » April 7th, 2018, 9:31 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post
dcrahn wrote:Source of the post As in my original post it's a GM 5.7.....

I got that but the brand makes a big difference. You can use the same filter assembly off the old engine but I would try to retrofit it to a location lower on the engine. A newer setup would have been done that way with a cover over the filter assembly or a Cool Fuel system. Again these mods were efforts to minimize vapour lock. Sticking with the same assembly/filter will make it easy to get replacements as everybody will carry them: Mercury 35-802893T or Quicksilver 35-802893Q01. Or you could get fancy if you want a better setup and go with a Racor unit:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--10-micron-spin-on-series-fuel-filter-water-separator-i-o-320r--484972?recordNum=12

I considered using the old filter setup but when I removed one of the fittings there was considerable corrosion inside, so I would prefer using something new. So you feel that Racor unit with the 10 micron element will work okay on the suction side of the pump?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 7th, 2018, 10:04 am

Yes. I've installed several. I don't recall but if the 10 micron worries you, go on Racor/Parker site and see if there is a 25 micron or so element available for that assembly. I believe the Merc/Quicksilver filters are 25 micron.

You can also get a similar assembly to the one you currently have from Sierra then just use the Merc spin-on filters. Just make sure the one you get will accommodate the Merc filters mentioned above just for availability's sake. If you replace the spin-ons every year, they're a perfectly good filter for the recreational boater.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra--fuel-water-separator-kits--P006_180_003_521?recordNum=4

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 7th, 2018, 2:11 pm

dcrahn wrote:Source of the post I'm looking for a fuel filter to install between the tank and fuel pump. The pump is a Carter electric for a GM 5.7 with a 600 cfm carburetor. Most I see are 10 Micron that in my opinion are not suitable for the suction side of the pump and would cause cavitation and destroy the pump. On my race car I use a 100 Micron filter between the tank and pump, then a 10 Micron between the pump and carburetors. Are fuel filters on boats required to be USGA approved?

Like Viper said , vapour lock is a real problem in a boat, IMO a lot created by the anti syphon valve+ heat....here is a setup I used on previous boats.....metal line from tank to racor type water separator mounted on the bulkhead higher than the pump, then insulated line to fuel pump ( mechanical in these cases ) metal line from the pump to carb with a marine metal canister filter between the pump and carb. Actually what you had on the race car micron wise sounds fine to me.....(same as I used and still have boxes of earls line filters and fittings that I can't use now)...IMO ...really you have a carb, don't need 10 micron filtration ( injection yes), really just need to keep the big bits out of the pump.....the merc stuff always worked for me, the flow numbers on the separators are quite high and the idea of the spin-ons is good ( convenient) and the bonus is you are compliant with the regs.( ins and survey)
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”