Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

V Drive Transmission Drip

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Outandaboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 350 Mariner

V Drive Transmission Drip

Postby Outandaboat » April 27th, 2018, 6:31 pm

I have noticed a small drip that started under my transmission. It's a 2000 350 Mariner and no idea what the V drives are and haven't worked on these things before. Anyone know if these are hard to work on? Could it be a gasket? Any help is appreciated.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: V Drive Transmission Drip

Postby km1125 » April 27th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Probably not as likely a gasket as it would be a seal. Wipe it all down and then see if you can tell which end the leak is coming from. Tape some strips of paper towel or those oil absorbent pads under the area to help see where it drips first, but it might just travel to the lowest point before it drips.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 28th, 2018, 9:04 am

You did not say what engines you have there.... if they are black ones and if it turns out the shaft seal is leaking , I am given to understand that there was a shaft seal upgrade way back around early 2000's as they had some issues with leakage....my boat had been upgraded under warranty on at least one side......if its just a drip put a tray and pad down like has been mentioned and see what amt you get after a while , just watch your levels. Good luck man as I believe you have to remove engine trans combo to efficiently repair unless you have E.T. working for you.

To add , I have the small block 6.2 so this may not even apply if you have big blocks or diesel.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
rybad
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Mariner 3297 w/ Crusader 270's

Postby rybad » June 22nd, 2018, 9:28 pm

Im not sure if you have resolved this by now, but I just joined this forum and saw this point, and figured I would share my transmission/vdrive experience.

First off, there should be a tag on the VDrive part of the transmission that has the gear ratio and transmission type (I have an 87 Mariner with Borg Warner Velvet Drives).

I had one trans go out on me. It would heat up, then not shift. I had it replaced. Cost me about $1100 for the shop to do the work, but I found a great deal on a complete rebuilt transmision & VDrive unit (all assembled). I got both for $3500 which, if you have been looking, is an extremely good price.

Anyway, if you need to replace, check out ebasicpower.com That is the place I got the trans and vdrive from.

Now, I will also tell you, if you end up buying from the, be sure to have them double check and bench test before shpping. I had them ship me one, paid the $3500, had it shipped to my marine mechanic. Marine mechanic installed the trans, and after first trip out, the seal was leaking. I called ebasicpower.com, and they sent me a replacement seal, but the whole thing had to be pulled all over again.. so it cost me another $1100 to replace a $29 seal!! That sucked.

Good Luck

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”