Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

454 Crusader XL Oil Drain Plug

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

454 Crusader XL Oil Drain Plug

Postby 390Express » May 21st, 2018, 5:52 pm

The oil pans seem to be mirror image (same from one side to the other), with a small boss on both sides of the pan, near the bottom. These bosses seem to be where the factory installs the dipstick tube (both of my dipsticks are in the middle of the boat). Is the boss opposite the dipstick tube the drain plug? It has approximately a 1/8" allen head bolt in it, but it looks like there's some welding around it, or epoxy. I can't tell if the weld/epoxy extends to the bolt or not. It's also painted shut.

Didn't know if I could unscrew the allen head screw to drain anything that may be left after using an evac pump, or if the factory somehow seals that hole with an allen head and permanent thread sealer, or a tack weld.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 454 Crusader XL Oil Drain Plug

Postby Viper » May 21st, 2018, 9:23 pm

Doesn't sound normal. Don't open up a can of worms, leave it alone. Getting the oil out through the dipstick tube is just fine, just warm up the engine before you evacuate the oil. That will put more solids in suspension and the higher temp will make it easier to extract. It's the way everyone in the industry does it unless the application has drain hoses attached to the bottom of the pan for manual or powered extraction with an oil change system.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » May 21st, 2018, 11:21 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Doesn't sound normal. Don't open up a can of worms, leave it alone. Getting the oil out through the dipstick tube is just fine, just warm up the engine before you evacuate the oil. That will put more solids in suspension and the higher temp will make it easier to extract. It's the way everyone in the industry does it unless the application has drain hoses attached to the bottom of the pan for manual or powered extraction with an oil change system.

I'm kind of trying to avoid a bigger can of worms, from running whatever is in the bottom of my oil pan through the motors. Attached is a pic. I'd really like to try to take it off, and see if I can get anything else from the pan. If there's any water in the pan, it would have settled to the bottom, which is the primary reason I'd like to remove this plug. I may try to remove it with a regular allen wrench. If it comes off it comes off, shouldn't hurt anything. I won't be able to get much torque on it. If it feels like I have to reef on it, I'll leave it alone. I believe this is the port that people attach electronic extractors to, correct?

Pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 22nd, 2018, 7:45 am

Yes, this is where you would hook up a permanent extractor system.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » May 22nd, 2018, 5:51 pm

That looks as if somebody welded the plug to the pan bung.

As for sucking oil out through the tube - all my Carvers were done using this method. And fwiw, my last Benz had 357,000 miles on her ( a gasser, not a diesel ) when I sold it, it's still running around and not smoking, and every oil change was with a manual topsider. And the FSS had me change the oil every 18,000-20,000 miles using Mobil1 gold cap (now a gold label). You will get everything out that needs to come out.

There is a lot of misleading marketing information out there that many take as fact.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » May 24th, 2018, 3:09 pm

The bung is attached to the pan with who knows what. The pan is aluminum and the plug is brass. I'm guessing the bung is brass also? Could be aluminum?

The plug came out easy with an 8mm allen socket, and went back in with no leaks. I plan on installing an oil draining system (a simple mechanical system with a shutoff valve and a cap when I'm not using it), but that will likely be a next year project. I'm finally getting close to at least having the bugs worked out from sitting for 2 years. I should be finally able to test which systems/components need replacing this weekend or next week.

Many thanks to all that have offered help!

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”