Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Motor Rotation - 390 Express (1996)

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Motor Rotation - 390 Express (1996)

Postby km1125 » June 1st, 2018, 8:38 pm

Since I just happened to be on the boat, and have two Crusaders sitting underneath me, I decided to snap a pic. One of those is worth 1000 words, right? (btw, I could only see your second pic.. the first one only loads partway)

I have opposite rotation engines. These are 1983 carb motors, but the timing marks should be the same, if not similar.

If you look for the "before" numbers on the indicator, the crank rotates from those numbers to the TDC mark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » June 2nd, 2018, 12:59 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Since I just happened to be on the boat, and have two Crusaders sitting underneath me, I decided to snap a pic. One of those is worth 1000 words, right? (btw, I could only see your second pic.. the first one only loads partway)

I have opposite rotation engines. These are 1983 carb motors, but the timing marks should be the same, if not similar.

If you look for the "before" numbers on the indicator, the crank rotates from those numbers to the TDC mark.

Thanks KM, both of my motors have timing markers similar to your port, std. rotation motor. What a relief. I was concerned that I was going to have to pull off the brand new starter that I just put on, and wait another 4-5 days for a new one.

I'm surprised that your starboard motor is your counter-rotating motor. My Baja had a LH rotation on the port side, I guess it's just another difference in the cruiser vs offshore world, but I've always been taught that rotating "in" (with both props spinning toward the middle of the boat) would add drag and bring the aft lower in the water. Seems like the opposite of what you'd want to do in a cruiser?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 2nd, 2018, 4:46 pm

It depends on the hull design but in some racing applications, prop rotation is reversed so the tops of the props turn into each other to provide stern lift and get the transom out of the water. In recreational applications, standard prop rotation is RH. In a twin application, the RH prop is on the starboard side so that the tops of the props trun away from each other.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”