Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Decelereration stall and no start

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Decelereration stall and no start

Postby pepmyster » June 12th, 2018, 6:13 am

I looked at the image and they do not look the same. The Merc is a plunger style.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 12th, 2018, 6:56 am

Unfortunately the track record for parts when used in cars can't be used as a benchmark for longevity when the same part is used in a marine application, it's a totally different duty cycle and set of conditions. The IAC works more in a car than it does in a boat, and doesn't get laid up for half the year like it does in northern climates. Like any moving components, non-use kills them faster. Add to that the bad practice of spraying storage fluid into the throttle body for winter storage as an easy way of fogging the engine and it's no wonder they fail.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 12th, 2018, 8:12 am

Unfortunately the track record for parts when used in cars can't be used as a benchmark for longevity when the same part is used in a marine application, it's a totally different duty cycle and set of conditions.

I agree however in the case of the IAC I pointed to for the merc they fail horribly. I went through 4 in no time and these were the Merc originals at $150 a pop. Finally decided to go with the Ford equivalent ($40) which never failed me and to date the new owner has put on an additional 400hrs and still doing great. This may be an exception to the rule.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 12th, 2018, 3:55 pm

I also think manufacturing has taken some shortcuts. I went for years just replacing the odd one here and there but it seems that the last couple of years I've been replacing them quite often. It hasn't however been on units that I've replaced before so I'm talking original equipment. It just seems like last year and the year before were the years of the IAC for me. Probably replaced a dozen in two years which is a precedent at my end. Will the new ones last as long?...hard to tell but something tells me that like everything else, they don't build ANY brand like they used to.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 12th, 2018, 9:02 pm

I recieved my parts, IAC and plugs. At least the IAC has a warranty of 1 year. I'll give updates on the replacements soon. Thanks to all who have chimed in.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 16th, 2018, 8:08 am

Sooooooo, The other owner said that the other owner replaced the plugs at 600 hours, WRONG! The plugs were the original AC Delco from the factory. They are now replaced with Denso Iradium plugs, IT16. Also, replaced the Starboard IAC , started the motors, they purrrrred. Did the sudden idle drop, beautiful. Now to start to learn how pilot this vessel!!! Thanks for all the input!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 16th, 2018, 9:22 am

Glad to see you got her all sorted out. Now get out there and enjoy her. :captain:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 16th, 2018, 11:40 am

Did the plugs still have paint on them? That's the only way I'd say to determine if they were original. In my first boat I replaced plugs with the exact same type as the manufacturer had installed "just in case it made a difference".

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 17th, 2018, 8:17 am

Yes, painted right from the factory. 750 hours on them.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 17th, 2018, 9:48 am

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post Sooooooo, The other owner said that the other owner replaced the plugs at 600 hours, WRONG! The plugs were the original AC Delco from the factory. They are now replaced with Denso Iradium plugs, IT16. Also, replaced the Starboard IAC , started the motors, they purrrrred. Did the sudden idle drop, beautiful. Now to start to learn how pilot this vessel!!! Thanks for all the input!

Thanks for posting the resolution.....good its working right........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”