Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Coolant Capacity

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Coolant Capacity

Postby 390Express » June 10th, 2018, 1:29 pm

What is the approximate coolant capacity of a closed coolant system? Mine was drained for storage/winterization, and I have to refill it. Research says 33 quarts, but that seems like a ton. Is that correct? Can any quality 50/50 mix be used?

I read the operation and maintenance manual, but it talks more about how to flush the system, than it does about what product to use, or how much goes into the system.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Coolant Capacity

Postby Viper » June 10th, 2018, 4:56 pm

That seems like a lot. I would think more like 5-6 gals but don't quote me on that. Also depends on whether you have a completely closed system including exhaust manifolds. Why was it drained for the winter, coolant failed testing?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 10th, 2018, 9:55 pm

No reason to drain the closed side of the system unless you are replacing it due to age / contamination.
Not sure what it holds from completely empty. Use 50/50 mix and fill it up. I use Dex Cool, but you can use the green stuff if you want.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » June 11th, 2018, 1:40 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post No reason to drain the closed side of the system unless you are replacing it due to age / contamination.
Not sure what it holds from completely empty. Use 50/50 mix and fill it up. I use Dex Cool, but you can use the green stuff if you want.

The boat was shipped from Kentucky to Mi. I don't exactly know why they winterized the way they did, but they pulled the block drains, all exh manifold drains, muffler drains, etc. and filled all of the stainers with anti-freeze. It only took about a gallon and a half to fill it up the motor and reservoir. They didn't disconnect any hoses. I'm guessing the rest of the system was fairly full, aside from the block and reservoir. Kind of shocked they don't tell you approximately how much fluid the system holds in the owners manual.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”