Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

No power (electrical) 1996 454 Crusader XL TBI

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Re: No power (electrical) 1996 454 Crusader XL TBI

Postby 390Express » June 12th, 2018, 7:28 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
390Express wrote:Source of the post When I turn on the ignition switch on the panel for the starboard motor, I get no warnings at the panel or at the dash, and the motor starts with no issue at the helm or by jumping the starter.

When I turn on the ignition switch on the panel for the port motor, I get no warning at the panel, but I do get a "V-Drive" warning light at the helm.

But then you say:
" The boat doesn't have a key, it just has an "ignition" button"

I"M CONFUSED! Do you have a separate "ignition switch" and an "ignition button"??

Do you have gauges? Does anything happen (even a flicker) on the gauges when you turn on the "ignition switch" for each engine"

There is an ignition switch on the panel in the cabin, and an ignition button at the helm.

Weird issue. I have 12v on both sides of the engine breaker 50 amp reset, 12v on both sides of the 10 amp reset, no power to the ECU TBI breaker, and no power to the fuel pump breaker.

I also have no power to the 1 terminal (red battery terminal) on the 9 pin. The 9 pin feeds the motor, correct?

When I push the ignition button, the voltage meter drops to accommodate the draw for the starter, same as the working starboard motor. No other gauges move, same as the working starboard motor. The only odd thing I see different, motor to motor, is that the synchronizer pegs to the port motor when I push the “ignition off” button, but I have no reference, the ignition off button for the starboard side isn’t working.
Last edited by 390Express on June 12th, 2018, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 12th, 2018, 7:43 pm

So can we catch up a bit....seems to me that when you push the start button , the engine turns over but there is no signal to the TBI or ignition.....is that correct so far ??
Is there sound from the fuel pump ( working )....only when you push the start button..

The other question, does the start button work when the panel switch is off ??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » June 12th, 2018, 7:47 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post So can we catch up a bit....seems to me that when you push the start button , the engine turns over but there is no signal to the TBI or ignition.....is that correct so far ??
Is there sound from the fuel pump ( working )....only when you push the start button..

No power to the fuel pump either. Only time I had power to the fuel pump is when I ran a hot to it. There is a 50a main engine breaker, a 10a "ECU breaker, a 10a fuel pump breaker, and a 10a ECU/TBI breaker. (does anyone know why the ECU has two breakers?) The 50a engine breaker and top 10a ECU breaker both have 12v both sides, the fuel pump breaker and bottom ECU/TBI breaker have no power.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 390Express on June 13th, 2018, 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 12th, 2018, 7:56 pm

Try continuity checks across those breakers....no power to the ecu and fuel pump seems to be the issue here.....shut power off and take the breakers apart and have a good look and check continuity.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » June 12th, 2018, 8:11 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Try continuity checks across those breakers....no power to the ecu and fuel pump seems to be the issue here.....shut power off and take the breakers apart and have a good look and check continuity.

Breakers are all good.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 12th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Do you have the engine side wiring diagram?. Work back ( continuity ) from those breakers that don't have power to them when the button is pressed.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » June 12th, 2018, 8:44 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Do you have the engine side wiring diagram?. Work back ( continuity ) from those breakers that don't have power to them when the button is pressed.

There is no power to the excite wire for the relay inside that breaker box.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 12th, 2018, 8:53 pm

OK...now when you press the start button does the starter solenoid make....then you should have a signal to the starter then power back to the breakers.....the neutral switch is in this line I believe ( check continuity thru it )...hard to think about when not there or looking at a schematic.....that power also goes to the alt I believe....do you have this hooked up? Gotta get power to those two breakers...ECU and fuel.... Holy s... wheres the tylenol.
Geez I don't know if this a help or not....

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 12th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Is this close for you......not saying it is correct but all I could find.

Edit....not applicable in this case, please ignore.
Last edited by bud37 on June 13th, 2018, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 12th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Just checking to be sure....
If you are checking continuity /vs voltage, you need to remove the wires from one side of the breaker or switch. Otherwise you will always read continuity through the breaker or switch via the end device to ground unless the end device has failed.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”