Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hatch gasket?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Hatch gasket?

Postby 390Express » July 6th, 2018, 5:00 pm

My boat has a large hatch that opens with two hydraulic rams, and a smaller hatch in the large hatch for quick access, and in case I need access with dead batteries. I had water in the motors when I bought it, and knew about it and drained it all out. Water got in the port motor a 2nd time after I bought it, and I think it came through the engine compartment. I was worried that it was a head gasket or worse, but I did notice after cleaning that I had sudsy water all over my motors, and I didn't use a hard spray. I'm guessing its leaking through the small access hatch hole. I did check and the channel is free and clear, and the drains are open. It used to have a foam gasket mounted on the top piece of the hatch, and it's pretty well shot. I'm guessing it needs replacing. Is this what I need, and if so, what width and thickness is best? My old one is too shot to get dimensions from. Also, when installing, how best to handle the corners? I’m guessing butt joints, should I use some sealer at the joints too, or just keep it tight? It’s on of those deals where I’m guessing overlap will cause a bad seal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Re: Hatch gasket?

Postby 390Express » August 16th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I bought the Taco 3/4” wide by 1/8 thick gasket and it worked great.

Before and after:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Re: Hatch gasket?

Postby 390Express » August 16th, 2018, 6:23 pm

The small gaps near the back of the gasket are intentional. There isn’t anything critical there, so if it’s going to get overwhelmed and spill, I figured I’d like to be able to control it as much as possible, and create the area it would do it at.

Also sanded with 220 on an orbital sander, and painted with rustoleum pure white. Looks good and it’s been extremely durable.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”