Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Transmission Fluid Pump

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Transmission Fluid Pump

Postby km1125 » July 11th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Here's an example of a Velvet Drive 5000 parts listing showing the diagram. Part # 220 is the filter/screen.
velvetdrive_5000.jpg

Here is the "Liberty" trans (might be the same as a 5000):
VelvetDrive_Liberty_screen_location.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 406 Aft Cabin, twin 7.4 gas Mercruisers - Flyboy II

Postby crquisto » July 11th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Thanks km1125. I’ve got a request in to an online parts supplier for a parts diagram but from yours, I think I can see a similarity with mine. Is there any issue with removing and reinstalling the spring and piston that are under the same cover as the filter? And can I just clean the filter?

Today I ran the boat briefly to check out performance after replacing plugs, wires, rotors, distributor caps, oil, fuel and gas filters. I ran in forward at WOT for about 5 minutes with no horns or other anomalies. On return, with engines idling in neutral, I checked some temps. The port tranny was about 20 deg. F warmer than the starboard and both were cooling down pretty quickly. Also, I found a 10 deg. F drop on both sides across the tranny coolers. I have a mechanic coming to read codes on Friday and I hope this is just a bad sensor as Viper suggested.

That still doesn’t explain why I can’t get an accurate fluid level reading on the port side by following the book. When the book says to stop the engine and “quickly” check the fluid level, what is “quickly”? I can get there within about 20 seconds on my bum knee when I do it myself. Do I need to get some help so I can read it quicker?

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » July 12th, 2018, 3:05 pm

The early Velvet Drive 5000 series had a pump problem which would act just as you describe. It was some sort of casting problem where the pump mounted. It was more prevalent on the port side for some reason. They tried a different gasket (#2001-045-005), then a different pump/valve assembly (#2001-736-003) and then redesigned the whole thing and called it the Liberty instead of the 5000 because of the bad rep. Most of these were repaired or replaced a long time ago but there are a few low hour ones floating around. I'm not saying this is definitely your problem, but it was big thing around your model year so it is worth investigating.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”