Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

How to select fuel sending unit?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: How to select fuel sending unit?

Postby Viper » September 11th, 2018, 6:57 am

Before you condemn the gauge, check all connections including harness plug pins for a clean, tight connection. If you have a set of test leads, you can eliminate the boat's wiring for testing purposes, hook up the test leads and see if it reacts the same way. You should be able to do all you test hook ups behind the helm. If the needle still doesn't move when you ground the sender lead, replace the gauge.

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Postby 390Express » September 11th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Before you condemn the gauge, check all connections including harness plug pins for a clean, tight connection. If you have a set of test leads, you can eliminate the boat's wiring for testing purposes, hook up the test leads and see if it reacts the same way. You should be able to do all you test hook ups behind the helm. If the needle still doesn't move when you ground the sender lead, replace the gauge.

So if I ground the red wire at the sender, the gauge should read full?

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » June 17th, 2019, 12:11 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Before you condemn the gauge, check all connections including harness plug pins for a clean, tight connection. If you have a set of test leads, you can eliminate the boat's wiring for testing purposes, hook up the test leads and see if it reacts the same way. You should be able to do all you test hook ups behind the helm. If the needle still doesn't move when you ground the sender lead, replace the gauge.

Grounded the red, gauge reads full. Bad sending unit for sure, looked like hell when I pulled it out of the tank. Is there a way to check if it's a 10-180 ohm, vs the 33-240? I have VDO gauges, so I'm guessing it's the 10-180, but VDO also makes a 33-240 sending unit.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 17th, 2019, 4:53 am

VDO is the odd ball in terms of ohms. If you have a model number of the sender or gauge, I would shoot them an email to confirm what you need.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 17th, 2019, 6:06 am

390Express wrote:Source of the post Is there a way to check if it's a 10-180 ohm, vs the 33-240?

Sometimes the ohm range is stamped on the unit, clean the top and have a close look.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » June 21st, 2019, 1:05 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
390Express wrote:Source of the post Is there a way to check if it's a 10-180 ohm, vs the 33-240?

Sometimes the ohm range is stamped on the unit, clean the top and have a close look.

I bought the damn 10-180, but they weren't right (good thing they were only $17). Has about a 1/4 tank and the gauge reads full. The only number at the top of the gauge is 04045-47, but I can't get it to cross reference anywhere. Any ideas?

Seems like it should be a 240 - 33. The new sending units were likely putting out 15-20 ohms, and reading full. I suppose I can try lifting the gauge and seeing if it goes down.

United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 400

Postby hausherrs » July 14th, 2019, 9:00 am

I just installed this one yesterday in my aux tank. It works great. I just matched sensor height up to the old one and trimmed the main beam. Took 20 min.

Moeller 035729-10, Fuel Tank...

United States of America
jrafaello
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Santa Cruz 2667 Mercruiser 260

Postby jrafaello » May 14th, 2020, 10:36 pm

Hey all I’m having an issue with my gas gauge on my 87 Santa Cruz. When I turn on the key it goes backwards. If I swap the send and ground wires the gauge goes to full. Is that the sending unit?
Can I swap it without taking out the tank?

Any help is as always appreciated!

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » May 15th, 2020, 10:31 am

jrafaello wrote:Source of the post Hey all I’m having an issue with my gas gauge on my 87 Santa Cruz. When I turn on the key it goes backwards. If I swap the send and ground wires the gauge goes to full. Is that the sending unit?
Can I swap it without taking out the tank?

Any help is as always appreciated!

Are you swapping the sending and ground wires at the gauge? I’m assuming that’s what you did. You need to disconnect the sending wire from the sender itself. With it disconnected at the sender you shouldn’t see any movement either direction, since the circuit will be open. If you do have movement sounds like you have a short somewhere. Not sure about how the tanks in the Santa Cruz are set up, but generally you do not have to remove the tanks to replace the sending unit.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
jrafaello
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Santa Cruz 2667 Mercruiser 260

Postby jrafaello » May 31st, 2020, 7:36 am

Ron,

I did all the tests I could find and it was the sending unit. I contacted Carver and they gave me the exact unit mfg and part number. I replaced it with one the parts store swore was a direct replacement for the original (Kysor Medallion). Of course it wasnt. It was a Universal one. No big deal except:

1. It doesn't work correctly with the dual gauge system (helm and flybridge). I unplugged 1 gauge and the other works fine. 9Clearly a resistance problem). No big deal, I only drive from the bridge.

Yesterday however,

I started the boat and the Tachometer on the bridge died.. I touched the back of it ( I was under there cleaning up wiring yesterday) and it started working again BUT the fuel gauge went from 3/4 of a tank to full! Gotta be a short or a bad connection right? But what? Grounding issue? Just thought I'd check before taking wires off the tach and not having the boat start.

Rafe

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”