Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Transmission fluid change

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Transmission fluid change

Postby bud37 » July 27th, 2018, 6:47 am

It may be the recs are based on worse case scenario service use.....I think if you just go out and putt around changing every year is a waste of fluid, period. Now if you put over 200 hrs on with the boat on plane every time you go out then it seems reasonable cause the trans loading will be up there.
They have the work boat at 1000hrs....that is pretty much 8hrs a day, 5 days a week for six month season....interesting....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 27th, 2018, 8:09 am

Velvet Drive service manual 70C & 71C http://www.mikesell.net/mastercraft/Velvet70C&71C.pdf
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 27th, 2018, 8:48 am

Would be interesting to see some actual oil analysis over a couple years.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 27th, 2018, 9:32 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Would be interesting to see some actual oil analysis over a couple years.

+1
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
nazinteck
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 325 Carver Aft with twin Gas TB350 XLi engines

Postby nazinteck » July 27th, 2018, 10:25 am

The annual change is BW requirement. I also agree that one year seems a bit too often for me. Personally, I will monitor the fluid and make a decision on the interval as time goes on. I won't be changing mine annually, despite the recommendation by the manufacturer Borg Warner. But now I have fresh, clean fluid, and a basis from which to start this Carver experience.

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 17th, 2021, 8:57 am

This thread has a lot of useful and interesting information.

My 1983 Riviera has a borg warner transmission that did not sound good at the beginning of this season. I found it low on fluid and added some. However, it is still very noisy at low RPM. Once i get to 1100 RPM or so it sounds fine.
Besides checking the fluid, is there anything else i can do to better the situation short of having it removed and looked at? Maybe a thicker fluid?
I will plan on inspecting/repairing it/having it repaired once it is hauled at the end of the season but would appreciate any ideas for while it is in the water.
Thanks in advance...
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 17th, 2021, 10:41 am

Petemait wrote:Source of the post This thread has a lot of useful and interesting information.

My 1983 Riviera has a borg warner transmission that did not sound good at the beginning of this season. I found it low on fluid and added some. However, it is still very noisy at low RPM. Once i get to 1100 RPM or so it sounds fine.
Besides checking the fluid, is there anything else i can do to better the situation short of having it removed and looked at? Maybe a thicker fluid?
I will plan on inspecting/repairing it/having it repaired once it is hauled at the end of the season but would appreciate any ideas for while it is in the water.
Thanks in advance...

May not be anything wrong with the transmission. You should check the line pressure and compare it to the service manual specs.

You should also check your engine for tune-up related stuff. An uneven firing at slower speeds will cause "lash" noise in the drivetrain. There is also the coupler between the engine and transmission that might be causing issues. It's supposed to buffer the transmission from the torque spikes in the crankshaft when each cylinder fires. It may also have some slop or weak or broken springs that is allowing some or all of those torque spike to travel into the transmission.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 17th, 2021, 1:45 pm

I agree with km. The transmission should be your last suspect, ensure the engine is running properly and that it's pressure plate is in good condition before condemning the transmission.

What is your idle rpm at in gear, and have you checked rpm at the engine and compared it to your tach readings to check how accurate your tachs are? The transmission will chatter if idle is set too low in gear.

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 19th, 2021, 10:39 am

Thanks to you guys for the knowledge.

I have not verified that the tachometer is accurate. The boat is supposed to idle at around 600 rpm. Due to poor gas which i recently spent a lot of money on to remove, i had the idle up to about 800. It definitely drops a bit when i put it in gear, probably down to about 600-700 from 800.

I will also look into checking the transmission line pressure. I am not very knowledgeable with this stuff but i definitely want to learn!
Thanks again,
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 19th, 2021, 10:20 pm

Proper idle setting is done with the transmission in gear.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”