Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Tips or tricks to getting sediment out of the gas tank...

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Re: Tips or tricks to getting sediment out of the gas tank...

Postby 390Express » August 26th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
390Express wrote:Source of the post......There's no way for the quality of filter to hurt my motor(s)......

You may want to re-evaluate that statement. I'd say a sudden loss of oil pressure at high rpm due to a failed oil filter would be enough to harm your engine if not caught in time. Had it happen three times. In each case, the fault was the filter. Of every brand I've used, the only oil filters I've had fail were Frams. Giving them 3 chances over a two year period was enough for me to not recommend them anymore. That's a pretty high failure rate considering they weren't the main brand I was using at the time. Maybe they've changed but there's no way I want to risk anything I work on or own until the general concensus convinces me otherwise. For now, that's not the case, but don't take our word for it, there are many wright-ups on the internet of similar experiences.

Viper... think of what you're saying, and what my use of the filter is...

I'm not using it as an oil filter, remember?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 26th, 2018, 3:00 pm

390Express wrote:Source of the post......The only thing I'm considering is buying a sierra fuel filter/water separator with a drain on the bottom, but I'm having trouble finding said filter with a 3/4 thread.

I assume you're replacing one of the current filter assemblies and not adding an additional one or you may create a whole new problem.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » August 26th, 2018, 3:12 pm

390Express wrote:Source of the post......The only thing I'm considering is buying a sierra fuel filter/water separator with a drain on the bottom, but I'm having trouble finding said filter with a 3/4 thread.

I assume you're replacing one of the current filter assemblies and not adding an additional one or you may create a whole new problem.

I want to buy a proper fuel filter/water separator to replace the PH8A, but have not been able to find one with a 3/4-16 thread. You'd think it would be easy to search via the thread size of the filter, but not so much.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 26th, 2018, 3:14 pm

390Express wrote:Source of the post

I realize that. My comment was directed at the statement that the quality of the filter can't hurt your motor, that's why I put it in quotes. Just putting it out there for the benefit of everyone else. In the case of an oil filter (and fuel filter in some apps), especially Fram, it could cause damage. For what you're doing in this thread, it's probably fine but MJK1040 and myself are just cautioning about Fram in general so others are aware.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 26th, 2018, 3:16 pm

I want to buy a proper fuel filter/water separator to replace the PH8A, but have not been able to find one with a 3/4-16 thread.....

Try someone like Summit Racing or similar. They may have or know of units that might work.

You type way faster than me ;-)

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » August 26th, 2018, 3:36 pm

I realize that. My comment was directed at the statement that the quality of the filter can't hurt your motor, that's why I put it in quotes. Just putting it out there for the benefit of everyone else. In the case of an oil filter (and fuel filter in some apps), especially Fram, it could cause damage. For what you're doing in this thread, it's probably fine but MJK1040 and myself are just cautioning about Fram in general so others are aware.

I understand that completely. I would never run a Fram PH8A as an oil filter. The guy that had the boat before me ran them, but I have Crusader factory filters (which I believe are made by Sierra) on it now.

I'm going to try calling Sierra directly. I have a part no for a Sierra filter without a drain, but a drain would make my life a lot easier. Their online cross reference guid is trash.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 26th, 2018, 3:43 pm

If you don't get anywhere with Summit Racing or Sierra, see what Racor has to offer for inboard gas. I like their units, they're an excellent filter/separator. You can drain them through the bottom housing without removing the element. The challenge will be the fitting size you're looking for.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 26th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Baldwin has a fuel filter separator that I have used, has a drain on the filter....not sure if it would work with your filter head though....mine fit an old Racor head......check em anyhow.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » September 10th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Wix has a spin on cartridge type that requires a bowl (WF10228):

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/wi ... 28/5305711

As well as a cartridge type with a drain that doesn't require a bowl (WF10161):

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/wi ... 61/4837205

I'll get one of these two types next year, after my initial run of 2-3 hours. As it stands, I'm replacing these damn filters every 2-3 hours of run time. I'm not throwing out a $20 filter every boating outting. It's not the cost that bothers me, if it was necessary I'd do it, but the waste of it all grinds me. The Fram is doing what it needs to do at this point.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”