Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 7.3 ECD-CB Generator - '06 41 CMY - Gas

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
AlexHardesty
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 41 CMY
Volvo-Penta 8.1 Liter Gi
"Livin' The Dream"

Kohler 7.3 ECD-CB Generator - '06 41 CMY - Gas

Postby AlexHardesty » August 7th, 2018, 12:30 pm

'06 41 CMY Gas Volvo Penta 8.1s with a Kohler 7.3 ECD-CB generator. Last fall when we purchased the boat there was an issue with the generator. During the repair, the technician told me that the raw water from the heat exchanger exits the boat through a hull fitting in the bottom of the boat because there was no water coming from the generator exhaust on the port side of the boat.

This season I am having issues with the generator restarting after it has been running for say an hour or so. Last weekend I ran the generator for more than six hours straight with no issues. Note, that the generator starts immediately on the first start. If I initiate a shutdown (not an auto-shutdown of the generator) the generator will not restart unless it sets for some time. The error code I get on the restart is UU (Under Voltage) which I do not believe to be accurate. Yesterday as I was continuing to diagnose the issue, water started coming from the generator exhaust on the port side of the boat for the very first time since we purchased the boat. This led me to believe that up until yesterday, the thermostat may have been stuck hence the generator temperature was too high for a restart.

My question is, on the Kohler 7.3 ECD-CB on an '06 41 CMY, does water from the heat exchanger exit the boat through the bottom or through the exhaust on the port side of the boat?

Thank you for your help!

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Re: Kohler 7.3 ECD-CB Generator - '06 41 CMY - Gas

Postby SplashyLady » August 7th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Normally the raw cooling water is mixed with the exhaust at the exit. This cools the exhaust and keeps noise down. The wet exhaust goes typically goes to a fiberglass canister-type silencer/muffler and then exits the boat. You should have a nice bubbling stream of water through the exhaust when the engine is running, regardless of thermostat or engine temperature. You don't see them a lot, but some boats have an underwater generator exhaust and some have gas separators. Centek seems to be the leader in specialty exhaust systems - check this out if you think you have an underwater or gas separation system: http://www.centekindustries.com/wp-cont ... pdf?x62515

Here is a link to the manual for your generator - the exhaust system is Group 116. http://ourcayoloco.com/docs/tp5987.pdf

Note Kohler makes the generator, but others make the exhaust system that connects to it!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 7th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I do believe your generator is a closed cooling system, thus your thermostat should not be an issue. I believe your raw water cooling system was not performing and should have been exiting the side exhaust port. You may want to try descaling your generator with a product I just used on my engines call RydLyme. It opened up the entire system and things on the raw water cooling side seem to be performing much better and no more steam out the exhaust. Good Luck with your issue.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 7th, 2018, 5:07 pm

AlexHardesty wrote:Source of the post My question is, on the Kohler 7.3 ECD-CB on an '06 41 CMY, does water from the heat exchanger exit the boat through the bottom or through the exhaust on the port side of the boat?

Check your boat manual, you may have the gas separator type as has been mentioned, raw water out the bottom gas out the side.....post a pic of the muffler.....I am sure someone else here has this model and can come in.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
AlexHardesty
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 41 CMY
Volvo-Penta 8.1 Liter Gi
"Livin' The Dream"

Postby AlexHardesty » August 7th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Correct... the generator is a closed system... Based in the what I see in the engine room there is hose from the "silencer" (fiberglass canister) to a bottom through-hull (raw water outbound from the heat exchanger) and another (also from the silencer / fiberglass canister) to the port side of the boat (gas exhaust). I have never had water exit through the port side exhaust until recently. Any idea what may have broken or changed to cause water exiting through the exhaust?

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » August 9th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Unusual to see a gas separator exhaust on a gas generator, but I suppose it does exist. The only reason you should see water out the exhaust gas side of one is if the sea cock on the water drain is closed or somehow obstructed. The idea of the system is to quiet the noise caused by the water splashing out the exhaust when at anchor.
The other issue you are having could be related to a known heat soak issue. The exhaust temperature sensor sits on top of the SS catalytic converter. When the engine is running, it is nice and cool and all is good. At shut down, the high heat of the catalytic converter rapidly heats the temperature switch and it can activate. Left alone, it will cool off and re-set after 1/2 hr or so.
Be sure you have the latest version of software, it has a 30 second inhibit to the exhaust temp so the sea water can cool it down a little before it allows the controller to sense it.
On the EKD models they switched to a flow sensor switch and eliminated the exhaust temp switch.
Try running the generator with no load a few minutes before shut down and this will cool the exhaust a little.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”