Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Velvet Transmission sensor bypass

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
flo2
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 3207

Velvet Transmission sensor bypass

Postby flo2 » August 18th, 2018, 10:54 am

I was having fun down there in the engine room(closet) and pulled a wire connected to a sensor on the transmission.
The sensor has 2 pins, a black wire coming from the transmission goes to one pin and another beige wire goes to the other pin. One of the pins broke on the sensor and now the buzzer is on full time.

I will replace this sensor but in the mean time I want to bypass the sensor to shut the buzzer off. Not sure if I should just connect both wires together or connect them both to ground.

Mike

Topic author Canada
flo2
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Velvet Transmission sensor bypass

Postby flo2 » August 18th, 2018, 2:16 pm

After more browsing it looks like the sensor on the transmission is a normally open switch that will close when the high temp is reached. Since this switch is broken and the wires are loose I presume the buzzer always on is not caused by this.

If I fallow the beige wire, it goes from this switch to the port side of the engine (1987 Mercruiser 5.7L) I think this is the oil pressure sensor and then from there it goes to the the engine temperature sensor and then it goes to a bunch of wires wrapped together.

I noticed the engine temperature sensor has a lose part, it is like a red plastic part. On my other engine this part is fixed. However I do get a reading on the temperature gauge and I also get a normal reading on the oil pressure gauge. How can I diagnose where the problem is located? Problem is, the buzzer is on after its delay even after the engine is running.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 18th, 2018, 11:44 pm

On the older engines, the alarm circuit is usually separate from the gauge senders. The gauge senders are analog. The alarm senders are all just switches, normally open when "ok" and closed when good. If the oil pressure is over "x", the engine temperature is under "x" and the transmission temperature is under "x", then the alarm should be silent. Each one should connect the common to ground to sound the alarm, and any one of the three can do it.

Topic author Canada
flo2
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby flo2 » August 19th, 2018, 9:30 am

This makes a lot of sense since the same wire goes through all the sensors/switches.

Thanks for shedding the light on this.

Mike

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”