Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Issues

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

Engine Issues

Postby Serendipity » August 16th, 2018, 7:45 am

Well unfortunately I started the trip yesterday and the starboard engine would not increase above 3000 rpms. Generator started making a clanking noise which was a rocker arm that needed to be secured back down.

I never got out of the Galveston Bay after filling up with fuel. New plug wires and a new IAC Valve but that did not help. I am wondering if (you guessed it) trash from the tanks clogged up a fuel injector or two after filling the tanks.
Engine seems to be fine without a load, fuel pressure straight from the fuel pump is running 40-42 and 32-34 should be sufficient. Remember I replaced the fuel pumps and filters as well as the fuel regulator.

These engines are nothing more than standard Chevy 454 3500 series truck engines I learned yesterday.

We are replacing the distributor this morning with a complete assembly because it was replaced as piece set recently.

If nothing else at least the generator is purring and I didnt get stuck in the ditch. I shall see how today goes.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: NEW INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT CARVERYACHTOWNERS

Postby waybomb » August 16th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Bummer. Hope you figure it out in short order.

But Crusaders are not exactly just a standard 454. Yes, the base engine was a 454, but much of the internals have been changed. Please do not use automotive replacement parts. You could go "boom".
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Serendipity » August 18th, 2018, 7:05 am

Very good information Waybomb and thanks on the Crusader knowledge.
I cannot start to tell ya how much of a disaster yesterday was, but it can always be worse.
After replacing all 8 injectors on the starboard engine, the boat ran 25-27 mph full throttle at test. Just need to replace the injectors on the port engine at some point now. Engines ran fine so far at 3400 rpms at 18 mph average for 28 gallons burn per hour. I am filling up the tanks this morning. Any old fuel should pretty much be gone at this point.

So here I sit in Intercoastal City, no mechanic and a broken water impeller housing. Nothing in sight for over a 100 miles I am told and no parts. The blessing here is I called my local marina and they had a couple housings in stock and waited until after 5 for my wife to pick them up yesterday.

So my wife and daughter are bringing them to me 5 hours away. I am only going to install the broken housing currently and keep the other for a backup.

My question is guys, I had to come 40 miles yesterday on 1 engine. Started off at 10 mph and the engine was smoking, so I reduced the speed to 8 mph and the smoke pretty much stopped. So I am going to add oil and a bottle of ring restore my wife is bringing me to this engine, as well as to the other engine.

So the engine alarm went off after the housing broke. I shut the engine down immediately and ran below. Water was coming in, so I shut the seacock off. New bilges have done an excellent job of clearing all water inside the hull.

So after installing the housing and I appreciate any information you have that might make this install go quicker as I am doing it. I am thankful for the engine room but at 6'4 it is still going to be cramped.

Start up procedure the same? Let engines idle for 10 minutes or so?
Although the engines only have 300 hours on them, I see a replacement in their near future. Thanks for your advice.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 21st, 2018, 7:51 pm

The "smoke" was most likely just steam due to lack of cooling water. Don't add anything until you check the oil level. I personally would stay away from the ring restorer no matter what.

You should move this post to engines and maintenance.

Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Serendipity » August 29th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Tom

Not sure how to move this post to engines, maybe Bryce can.
It could have been steam. Not seeing your post and being a 25 year veteran service manger. I have had success with ring restore, so I had my wife pick up 2 bottles on the way to bring me parts.
After a few hours of running the port engine, I can only say the steam or smoke went away. I mean I am hopeful they last a summer or two but I bought the boat thinking the engines would need replacing at some point.
I put 45 hours on the engines on my trip back and they had 365 when I purchased the boat. I got 4400 rpms and 25 mph in the Gulf or off the coast of Mississippi 2 miles from the end of my trip. I am impressed for a boat this size and that is all I need to keep me happy.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”