Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mercruiser 7.4 MPI vs 7.4 MPI Bluewater Horizon

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Mercruiser 7.4 MPI vs 7.4 MPI Bluewater Horizon

Postby tomschauer » September 6th, 2018, 11:21 pm

This past weekend a friend was on our boat, he has the same boat only about 3 years older. He was impressed by how quickly our boat came onto plane and cruised about 24.5 MPH at 3400 rpm. He has 7.4's with carbs. I told him I have the same motors with MPI. Later in the evening, back at the dock he asked to see the motors. When he saw the "Bluewater Horizons" he told me these are magnum motors with 380 HP and 490lbs of torque, I thought the only difference from the standard MPI and the Horizons was fresh water cooling. The standard MPI's are 310hp with 400lbs of torque.

Can anyone confirm or dispel this?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Mercruiser 7.4 MPI vs 7.4 MPI Bluewater Horizon

Postby Midnightsun » September 7th, 2018, 6:45 am

Don't quote me on this but Horizon designates factory closed cooling and extended service intervals, Bluewater was a marketing thing which improved corrosion in salt water applications and also designated inboard. Extra HP comes from the term Mag or Magnum which is not part of your description. This is handy if you do not have it. http://download.brunswick-marine.com/fi ... /54126.pdf
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Mercruiser 7.4 MPI vs 7.4 MPI Bluewater Horizon

Postby bud37 » September 7th, 2018, 9:14 am

Heh Tom....maybe if you go to the mercury site and the parts section, there could be some info when you plug in your year and engine serial number....worth a shot...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”