Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

ignition click

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
2impulsive
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver Riviera 2807

Re: ignition click

Postby 2impulsive » October 1st, 2018, 8:18 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post While the batteries are obviously getting weak, what position is your battery switch in? 1, 2 or both?

I have tried both positions 1 and 2. It seems to happen with both engines. The clicking sound is coming from the Starter Slave Solenoid, which suggests that it is working but the current isn't getting to the Starter Solenoid. I am in the process of checking all the connections and will let you know the results. Thanks for your suggestions.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 1st, 2018, 10:58 pm

If the slave solenoid is clicking, it indicates that the control side works but doesn't guaranty that the load side is working. Check the solenoid with a volt meter to see if there is 12 volts on the side leading to the starter when the key is turned to the start position. If you don't get 12 volts there, replace the solenoid. This is a common failure.

Topic author Canada
2impulsive
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 2impulsive » October 2nd, 2018, 7:20 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions.
In response to your questions, I have tried positions 1 and 2 on the battery switch and the clicking sound happens once each time the key is turned (on both engines), it's not a continuous clicking sound.
I am in the process of cleaning the contacts that have been suggested and will let you know the results.

United States of America
VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Postby VicB » October 15th, 2018, 7:09 am

I actually had this happen on a truck. The contacts, that look like a half moon inside the starting solenoid were made from copper and were so worn from the round plunger that they could not handle the amperage the starter demanded. 10 dollars from Auto Zone for new solenoid stationary contacts and it was just like new.

Topic author Canada
2impulsive
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 2impulsive » October 15th, 2018, 11:14 am

I have decided to change the slave solenoid on both engines in the Spring of next year, before the boat goes back in the water. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 15th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I agree with VicB.......I had the same thing with the mercruiser part, got new all Ok, but decided to take the old one carefully apart...there was corrosion on the contact plate, cleaned it and was ok to go for a spare....so for anyone stuck, they can be Macgyvered....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bellhouse1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Riviera

Postby bellhouse1 » August 16th, 2019, 8:59 am

You probably have this fixed by now but you have exactly described the problem I had with my Riviera. There is something called a slave solenoid mounted on the front top of the motor. Replacing these at a cost of about $30 a side should solve the problem. It's a quick fix too, just a few minutes and easy to get at.

United States of America
George D
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 aft cabin 32 foot twin mercruisers

Postby George D » August 17th, 2019, 8:12 pm

I had a clicking issue on starboard engine. Would crank, not start, then click and then nothing. Was loose/bad/corroded connection on starter solenoid

Topic author Canada
2impulsive
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 2impulsive » March 29th, 2020, 3:59 pm

It was the slave solenoids, I replaced them when the boat was out of the water in January 2019 and it's been running great since then. Thanks to all who replied especially "Viper".

Topic author Canada
2impulsive
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby 2impulsive » March 29th, 2020, 3:59 pm

It was the slave solenoids, I replaced them when the boat was out of the water in January 2019 and it's been running great since then. Thanks to all who replied especially "Viper".

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”