Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fueling a Kicker motor

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 2687 Monterey

Fueling a Kicker motor

Postby dcrahn » October 30th, 2018, 7:59 am

I have a 20hp Yamaha motor I'm going to use as a Kicker motor in case of main engine failure. I didn't want it hanging off the back of my swim platform all the time. So i made a quick release bracket that only take a minute to mount and I also made a secure and lockable cradle for the outboard on the cockpit deck. What I'm working now is to get fuel to it. I want to tap in to the main tank and would like some input on the best way to do it. I want to put a fuel connection thru the hull on the outside of the transom that will feed directly from the tank using the factory line with squeeze bulb primer, will it draw fuel up and that far? Or should I tap in to the the line after my electric fuel pump on the main engine which would require turning on the ignition switch to operate? Input welcomed.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fueling a Kicker motor

Postby bud37 » October 30th, 2018, 9:43 am

Have a look at the regs to see what they say ,if anything, about fuel feeds to auxiliary engines.......I dont think I would have it being fed by the engine pump with ignition on all the time though.

How far do you have to go, those engines will pull fuel quite a ways with the priming bulb in place.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby dcrahn » October 30th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Distance will be between 10 or 11ft.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 31st, 2018, 4:41 am

Do not go after the fuel pump, you do not want the feed line pressurized. A bulb and standard rubber line like those found with your standard outboard would work fine except I would make it up myself with the proper type fuel line that is presently used in the boat. Assuming you are tee'd off from a draw, I would substitute the T with a 3 way selector valve https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Fuel-Three-Way-Valve-Brass/dp/B000MTB7QA to be able to isolate. Do look into the regs to see what is permitted.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby dcrahn » October 31st, 2018, 8:14 am

Thanks for the input guys. Selector valve is in the plans and parts have been purchased to make up the squeeze bulb line, all compatible with gas/alcohol mix. One thing I have been thinking about is upgrading to the 25hp model. It is EFI and has it's own built in high pressure fuel pump, so I'm thinking once it is primed with the squeeze bulb it should have no real problem drawing fuel from my 100 gallon tank. I'm going to give the Techs at Yamaha a call and see what they have to say.

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » November 1st, 2018, 3:28 pm

ABYC and USCG have lots of rules and regs you need to comply with when dealing with a gasoline fuel system. ABYC H24 is 31 pages of stuff. Just be sure you comply in case something goes wrong, you don't want your insurance company questioning your installation.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”