Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bad spark plugs caused this?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Sailor Jerry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355

Bad spark plugs caused this?

Postby Sailor Jerry » October 30th, 2018, 2:24 pm

I thought I would share my story about an episode I had recently. We travelled from homeport about 30 miles to our destination (another marina) without incident. When we were ready to leave the next morning we fueled up, and had difficulty starting the stbd engine. When it finally started it was vibrating and running rough. Upon getting out of the harbor, we could not get stbd engine over 500 rpms, and serious rough vibration. When I checked the engine compartment there was steam, exhaust gas and water spewing everywhere. Shut down the stbd engine, turned on the exhaust blower and returned to the marina we just left under the port engine alone. When the local mechanic diagnosed the problem, this is what he found: dirty spark plugs on the stbd engine caused the excessive vibration, which caused the stuffing box to leak and the port engine exhaust to come loose. Hence, the steam, water and exhaust gas. So, if you haven't checked your spark plugs in forever, you might want to.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Bad spark plugs caused this?

Postby bud37 » October 30th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Thanks for posting, you may not think so but I think you were lucky that happened when it did....kind of exposed a problem you had lurking with the exhaust hose, may have been installed wrong or as it goes people sit/stand on them compromising the clamping at the joint.Could have easily been at 4500 rpm out somewhere away from help.
Was the engine smooth the day before ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 30th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Sounds pretty fishy to me. I'm assuming it ran OK on the way to the gas dock?

I do agree you got lucky on the exhaust though. The spark plugs didn't make that come loose, it was a problem waiting to happen. I'm also concerned about the stuffing box... well, not really the stuffing box but the engine mounts. If the engine was moving so much to affect the stuffing box, what do you think it's doing to the transmission gears and overall alignment with the shaft??

I could see A spark plug going bad but for several to go back and cause such a vibration issue would make me VERY suspicious.

On a related note though... I just ran into a spark plug problem with my dingy that plagued me for over a YEAR. The Cliff's Notes version: Would run great for 15-20 minutes flat out, then have trouble running. Let it sit for ~15 minutes and you could run again for about 15 minutes flat out, then it would have trouble. If you ran less than flat-out, it would run much longer before you had an issue. SOMETIMES would be VERY hard to start, other times would start right away. Looked at nearly EVERYTHING else, then finally decided to replace the single spark plug. Problem appears to be solved. I have never, ever, ever had such a weird spark plug problem. Yours could have been another.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 30th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I've seen in a vehicle brand new spark plugs not work before!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author United States of America
Sailor Jerry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355

Postby Sailor Jerry » October 30th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, the hose had a pre-existing problem. The mechanic showed me where the engine had overheated the hose sometime ago (before my ownership) and deformed the elbow. It really didn't take much for it to come a loose. It was fortunate that it happened just outside the harbor where it was easy to get back in. And, yes the engine sounded fine until we started up at the fuel dock. The mechanic checked the fuel/water separator first, thinking that was the problem. But nothing there. Water leakage at the stuffing box was not major. Just about a gallon an hour, a heavy drip.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 30th, 2018, 10:57 pm

It was good of you to share your experience. That is one of the great things about this and other boating forums. We share our experiences both good and bad and we all can learn from them. Hope you have no other issues.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » October 31st, 2018, 2:09 pm

Yes I agree with Rgrew thank you for sharing
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
dcrahn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 2687 Monterey

Postby dcrahn » October 31st, 2018, 9:02 pm

Misfire caused by the bad plug or plugs caused excessive vibration in the engine which in turn caused the already compromised exhaust hose to leak, as well as the stuffing box.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”