Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Question on overheating repair or replace

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Question on overheating repair or replace

Postby Helmsman » April 8th, 2019, 9:01 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Its an open system, so air is not an issue. I do know however, when I first splash my boat I need to goose the throttle a little bit to pull a vacuum and bring the water up to the pump. After the initial start, its never an issue again.
If you are in the water, did you start the engine and check for flow? Fire them up, both should have nearly equal flow out of the exhaust. If not, you have something in the system. I would doubt its scale. You usually only need to use a scale remover if you have good flow and still cant transfer the heat. Scale removers can soften the copper of your heat exchangers, only use them if needed. So, unless you are in an area with zebra mussels, it most likley impller pieces somewhere in the system.

I think you are right. The flow is out of the strainer, to an oil cooler, then a return less fuel can, then the impeller housing, then the transmission cooler, then the heat exchanger, then the exhaust manifolds and out the back. I will pull every raw water hose today and see if I can find the debris. If that doesn’t come up with something, I will pull the heat exchanger and take a look inside each side for issues.

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 8th, 2019, 10:12 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post When you pull the impeller, check the inside pump housing, wear plate, and cam. A new impeller won't make much of a difference if this hardware is worn.

Has she ever been in salt water and if so, for how long?

Viper, the pump housing, wear plate and cam look like they are new. I am not sophisticated enough with this stuff to be sure, but they look good. After I open all the hoses and look for blockages and also look in the heat exchanger ends, I will look at that to ensure it is ok. There is no pitting, or scarring at the wear plate or the pump housing and the cam looks pristine, though, again, I am no expert!

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 8th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Ok. Narrowed the problem to the Heat Exchange. Just ran 1/2 water and 1/2 Ridlyme through using a SeaFlush kit. Will go out at nine and run fresh water through. Will check in the morning with sea flush to see if the flow is fixed.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 8th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Fingers crossed

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 9th, 2019, 7:11 am

Never had a overheating problem per say, but was getting to much steam out the exhaust for my liking. Tried Barnacle Buster and another de-scaler which seemed to reduce the amount of steam I was getting, did a RydLyme treatment and all the steam disappeared. Anyone install the perko flush valves in the raw water line to the sea pumps?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » April 9th, 2019, 7:54 am

I have installed the Groco fitting on my mains, gennie, and AC pump...love them

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pa ... id=2755962

Makes winterizing a breeze and also be used as a bulge pump in the case of significant water in the bilge

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 9th, 2019, 9:44 am

This is what I am installing...all bronze..

fb31327bc9bb9b6c1666a169eae1217e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 9th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Ok. Tested the suction of the engine raw water using the sea Flush system. It pulled really well and the engine heated to 170. When the thermostat opened it dropped to 160. Was worried about blowing a hole in the transmission cooler but the tranny fluid looks good so we might be back to normal. Next step is to buy a new transmission cooler and either boil out the heat exchanger or replace it. With two engines it will make sense to do both, I think. Will run it through the summer and replace at winter layup.

Incidentally, the guys st Ridlyme said the best result would be to circulate the product for 2 to 4 hours rather than pump it in and let it sit. Would make sense to get the inline fixture for winterization and projects like this.

Thanks for the help.! Couldn’t have done it without you guys.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”