Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

7.4L TBI fuel pressure problems

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

7.4L TBI fuel pressure problems

Postby Bentone23 » February 3rd, 2019, 4:14 pm

I am experiencing 14 psi fuel pressure and engine hesitates under load and will not rev past 3100 rpm. I replaced 2 fuel filters and Oberg was clean as a whistle. I replaced the fuel regulator in the TBI. But suspect it is still bad. I squoze the return line with pliers for an instant while the engine was running and fuel pressure instantly shot to max on the dial. I am certain the fuel pump is good now.

My question, is there different fuel pressures that Crusader or Chevy used on different models?

Any more ideas?

I already pulled the fuel draw tube from the tank, and the tube was clean, the anti siphon valve was moving freely and had a little of what appeared to be pipe dope on it. It was not clogged in any way.

The starboard engine runs up to 4000rpm and has had no issues. It has 20 psi.

Any ideas? Am I barking up the right tree?
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 7.4L TBI fuel pressure problems

Postby bud37 » February 3rd, 2019, 4:43 pm

Yes there are different pressures....did you replace the regulator with exactly the same part as the good engine ??
Wouldn't be the first bad part from the box.
Is the voltage at the pump ok and stable ?
You appear to have checked off the fuel line/ filter stuff....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 4th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Bruce - do you hear any popping sounds when you get to 3100, or is your tach jumping around?
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » February 5th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I had lots of problems as can be seen on all my posts in the past, finally found out it was the injectors causing the problem. Which were fouled up by bad fuel. After 2 years of tach jumping like crazy, getting nowhere past 2500 RPM, last year thanks to my new mechanic, was resolved. I am not a technical guy on engines, and I may be way off on your issue, but sounds like the problem I had for little over 2 years.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 5th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Yup, that is exactly what I was getting at. Tach jumping and popping sounds are caused by plugged injectors. They get a varnish like layer inside the injector, which reduces the fuel flow and can cause pre-ignition and/or detonation. This is created by bad gas ( low octane ), especially ethanol treated gas. Ethanol breaks down pretty quick and drops octane while sitting for a while in the tank. A good mechanic can test injector flow. The injectors can be cleaned, or rebuilt, or replaced, depending on severity. Crusader usually shows an example of detonation in the fuel requirements section of their operation guide. How this relates to PSI, I don't know. Hope this helps. Side note: there are a lot of marinas changing over to ethanol gas, due to demands by the charter industry. Those charters burn through gas real quick, so the marinas have to comply with making cheaper gas available. When you fill up, always check to make sure you are getting non-ethanol if that gas is going to sit in the tank for a length of time. We had 3 marinas flip last season, but they didn't make that change known. Can't blame them, they need sales, but I want pure gas in my tanks. Sometimes it sits for several weeks. My mechanic showed gasoline phase separation in a jar of 10% ethanol gas after a relatively short time. Sorry, went on a little rant there. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 5th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Is your pressure regulator referenced to manifold vacuum? I don't know on the throttle bodies if that's required or not, but it is definitely required in the MPI.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 6th, 2019, 10:14 am

If this is like the auto TBI, I think it is a bypass type reg with an internal spring....much like an oil pump......you can change spring colors or shim to fool with pressures if the injector size is altered. If the pump is bad then that reg could close up and keep the engine working just fine until there is a need for more fuel volume, then ya got a problem......not sayin this is what is up here, just my take on how this system works when all its parts are right..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 6th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Guess we all should be looking for a real good additive to put in our tanks as a precaution if the marinas are going to play this ethanol game on us! On another note, if you think your marina is slipping you low octane gas for higher assumed octane gas by the pump label, call the local weights and measures people that sealed the pump and demand a EPA sample be taken. The number should be on the seal on the pump. I don't know if this would apply to our northern boating buddies in Canada!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 6th, 2019, 11:24 pm

It sounds like many of you still have access to non ethanol fuel. In my area, it has been gone for many years. There are still a few gas stations, and they are very few and far between, where you can get ethanol free regular 86-87 octane fuel for about a 20 cent premium over premium 91-93 octane 10% ethanol fuel. I haven't seen ethanol free fuel at a marina in our area for at least five years. Many local marinas just have 89 octane 10% ethanol as your only choice.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 6th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Mike, something I will have to look for in our area, I don't think the marinas in my area are subject to the bureau of weights and measures as marine fuel is not subject to road tax, even though they charge more for it than the taxed fuel. I will look for the seals next time I am at the marina., but I am pretty sure they aren't there.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”