Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

question about changing old distributor for new electronic ignition

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
KTWilliams
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 440 Aft Cabin,
Full Circle

question about changing old distributor for new electronic ignition

Postby KTWilliams » February 15th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I have a 1988 3807 with 350 Crusaders. Maintanence was done well for first owner but number 2 not so much. I got it last summer and it actually did very well. Wanting to catch up on needed maintenance and since crusader sold out, some parts not easy to find or cross reference. Bottom line I was told to change out entire ignition system and go electronic. Said each kit would be complete with wires etc. Basically plug and play on distributor change with need to change plug gap from .035 to .045 and change thermostats from 140 to 160 degrees.

anyone else do this? What was your experience/results?

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Re: question about changing old distributor for new electronic ignition

Postby ColRon » February 15th, 2019, 9:17 pm

KT, I assume when you say you have 350 Crusaders your referring to the model 350 crusaders which are 454 cid. I have the same engines and I too have wonder about upgrading to electronic ignition so I will be following the thread, but I haven’t found any difficult in obtaining parts for them. Your about 400 miles upriver from me on the TN River. I do my most of my own maintenance and order a lot of my parts from a place in White House,TN just outside Nashville. You can pm me For their info if you want it.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 16th, 2019, 2:25 am

I am planning to convert my Carver. I just am not sure if it will be this year or next. Everyone I have spoken with who has done it wish they had done it sooner. I'm thinking it is a good mod to make.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 16th, 2019, 5:57 am

Put Mallory's in our 1986 Carver Mariner 5.7L Crusaders along with new coils and what a difference. You won't regret the upgrade cost. They tell me GM Delco makes a good electronic upgrade too!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » February 16th, 2019, 10:25 am

Changing to electronic ignition is one of the easiest and best things you can do. The Petronix and others are simple to install and make an immediate improvement in starting and running. You will need to check the timing after install - then it's basically maintenance-free!

Regarding the 145 vs. 160 degree thermostats - it depends on where you are running. You get less salt buildup with 145 - that's why they are the spec for some engines. The engine will be more efficient with a 160. IMHO - use 145 for use in salt water and 160 if you are running in fresh water.

See ya on the water!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 16th, 2019, 10:39 am

I would only move to a 160 t-stat if you're in fresh water OR your engine is fresh water cooled (coolant in block). Your engine will love you for it. Some guys go with even hotter stats.

There are several choices for electronic ignition conversions. Anything from a points and condenser elimination kit to a full distributor upgrade, and incorporating an ignition control module, etc. The key thing to keep in mind is that the distributor and supporting hardware be designed for a marine application to ensure you end up with a proper advance curve for your marine engine. You don't want an automotive advance curve in a boat.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 18th, 2019, 11:34 am

I have the 350HP Crusaders (454ci) from 83. I did the ignition upgrade about 20 years ago and haven't looked back since. Definitely like NOT having points anymore. I kept the old distributors on board for a couple years "just in case" there was a problem with the electronic ones but never needed to use them. My kits were Prestolites and came with everything including new coils. I think they were $200 each back then.

KTWilliams
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Full Circle

Postby KTWilliams » February 20th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Parts came in today. They are Delco EST. Thanks for all the encouragement. Gonna try to do this tomorrow and am hoping for the best.
In response to ColRon, yes they are Crusader 454's w 350 HP. The hell of it is they are running fine. And I hate to mess up something that works, but intuitively it just seems these will make it even better. Hope I'm correct cause it's a big investment in two full kits and I just don't want to screw this up...

KTWilliams
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Full Circle

Postby KTWilliams » February 20th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Viper, Thanks.
Yes it is fresh water cooled. Appreciate your comments.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » February 20th, 2019, 1:59 pm

KT, let me know how it turns out and if it makes a big change in performance. The admiral and I are planning a trip upriver to Chattanooga this summer. Our carver, Escape Plan, originally was purchased new by her first owner in Chattanooga, so it will be like she’s returning home for a visit. :-)
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”