Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Starboard engine still running hot

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Starboard engine still running hot

Postby Helmsman » May 10th, 2019, 11:28 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post From the picture it looks like at least half of your raw water passes are clogged. I am not sure what water you boat in, but it seems a good long flush with barnacle buster or something similar would clean this up for less $$ and time than replacing all the exchangers.

This picture was after Ridlyming the system. Ridlyming helped some. Before I Rid Lymed it I checked the water flow from the oil cooler, then from the transmission cooler (which looked worse than it does in the picture), then out of the exchanger to both risers. The port flow out of the exchanger to the riser was much slower than the starboard flow to the riser. So, the major issue is the exchangers. I could take them off, get them boiled, tested, and put back on. But, I bought two new exchangers for $675 a piece from Mr. Cool and will replace them after The 4th of July. Again, the engines are 13 years old and the exchangers may be ok, but I look at it as a maintenance item that I can do. I do plan to pull the transmission cooler first. I already have the replacement. Just have to find the time to do that. It is just in a tough place for an old guy to get to! :confused:

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » May 10th, 2019, 11:29 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Yes, your picture shows the problem, another RyLime treatment is in order with maybe a higher concentration mixture or full strength. My open cooled system wasn't over heating but producing steam. RydLime treatment cleared it up and plan on doing another treatment this season.

I am too far along! I did replace the port transmission cooler last year when it failed. So, I am assuming this one could go at any time.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 10th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post I am too far along! I did replace the port transmission cooler last year when it failed. So, I am assuming this one could go at any time.

I think you are going about it the right way...there is a time limit for all mechanical parts and coolers are very important.

So I just read back and to answer your question about hoses...Without going into great detail, the rule of thumb for me has been to replace all hoses on the suction side of the raw water pump with wire reinforced hose....then on the discharge side of the raw water pump you can use the preformed hoses that fit nice.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » May 11th, 2019, 6:46 am

Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post
mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Yes, your picture shows the problem, another RyLime treatment is in order with maybe a higher concentration mixture or full strength. My open cooled system wasn't over heating but producing steam. RydLime treatment cleared it up and plan on doing another treatment this season.

I am too far along! I did replace the port transmission cooler last year when it failed. So, I am assuming this one could go at any time.

I agree if the one failed I would do the same thing and change them both out.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”