Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carvr 325 MY Transmission overheating

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Hepp325
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 325 Aft Cabin

Carvr 325 MY Transmission overheating

Postby Hepp325 » May 16th, 2019, 1:36 am

Hello everyone. I am the proud owner of my first boat - a 1996 Carver 325 Motor Yacht. I love the boat but so far she does not love me. Last year we took the bought out, had an alarm which turned out to be an overheating starboard transmission. Had my marina replace the transmission and cooler with new during the winter. Just took the boat out for the first time this year. Had the same overheating problem with the starboard transmission. The engine is running well and not overheating. This tells me there is something wrong with the cooling circuit for the transmission. But what? The transmission manufacturer wants them to pull it out and send it back. The marina doesn't want to void the warranty. I don't think it is the transmission but in the cooling circuit, the transmission is a symptom not the cause. I am looking for suggestions on what possible problems could e occurring outside the transmission? I would appreciate any advice.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carvr 325 MY Transmission overheating

Postby km1125 » May 16th, 2019, 8:57 am

How long does it take to overheat? They should be able to check line pressures to see if the clutches are slipping, which would generate a LOT of heat quickly. Could also measure propshaft RPMs and compare with engine to measure slip. Also can measure cooling line temperatures before and after heat exchanger to see if it's doing the job.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » May 16th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I'm thinking cooling flow? Maybe you should have the cooling system back flushed, raw water impellers checked? We dealing with closed or open cooling here? Does the exhaust water on both engines appear to be equal? Maybe a descaling on the starboard engine? Bad alarm sensor? Could be the replacement parts, but I'm doubting that at this point!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 16th, 2019, 10:18 pm

All the above are good points. Check your raw water flow and ensure that when you shift into gear, you are getting full travel of the shift lever on the transmission both forward and reverse, otherwise you'll take out the clutch pack and generate heat in the process.

What caused the original one to fail? It's important to find this out. All too often, most common with engine failures, efforts aren't made to determine the root cause of the failure. This can lead to the replacement failing soon after if the cause was a result of something external to the unit. Seen this all too often with replacement engine failures that were eventually determined to be a result of external influences such as a fuel delivery issue for example that took out the original engine, not diagnosed/caught, the root cause of the engine failure not determined that may have pointed in that direction, and as a result, the same issue still exists and takes out the replacement hardware. What happened to the old unit and why?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 16th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Hopefully this is not the issue but, you say last year you had a trans temp alarm and you replaced the trans. Did it actually fail? or was it replaced because a $25 temp sensor is bad and set off an alarm, and is doing the same think $xxxx later?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”