Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

454 Crusader XL Starting/Starter Issue

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Re: 454 Crusader XL Starting/Starter Issue

Postby 390Express » June 19th, 2019, 12:20 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Does the Perko battery switch feed both engines? If so, you can rule that out. I'd definitely check/clean the negative cables from engine to engine and from BOTH engines to battery. It's possible you have an issue with the port negative cable that's using the stbd connection when IT starts (OK) but when the stbd engine is trying to start the voltage drop on that cable affects the port motor.

The Perko switch feeds both motors, but it is also the source of the main starting cable for the stbd motor. I pulled the perko switch apart and cleaned all of the contacts that I could get to, and cleaned all of the power supply lines and grounds with emory cloth, scotch bright and added no ox. Seems to have cured the issue. Thanks gang. The advice provided helped me rule out the helm wires, and the contacts for the solenoid and relay (and the solenoid and relay themselves). :down:

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”