Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

454XLi exhaust manifold replacement 96 Carver 400

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 400

454XLi exhaust manifold replacement 96 Carver 400

Postby hausherrs » July 6th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Hi

I have a '96 carver 400 with the 'little' big blocks. Crusader 7.4 XLI :-P

I think these are the original 96 manifolds. And I got a hole in one or the gasket is shot. I dont know because i took ownership in 2016. I purchased two Crusader manifolds and elbows, bolts, gaskets, etc. Its the one under the couch so it didn't get much attention.

I need some advice on the port engine, the elbows / manifold closest (And i mean close) to the fuel tank. I already soaked the elbow bolts and nuts with PB blaster and anticipate breaking the bolts. I already put a 9/16 wrench in them and doubled up with a 3/4 wrench. Would not budge. I didn't want to go too far and ruin something before the PB had time to set in. All the old parts are going to the recycler.

Here are my plans:

1) Remove the fuel computer and mount
2) Remove and hoses and drain antifreeze into a bucket
3) Remove the elbows and loosen the exhaust pipe and disconnect

The next part I really don't want to mess up with a broken bolt in the head.

4) Remove the exhaust manifold.

#4 - What do you do for extracting the manifold? At this point I just have 8 bolts to remove. I cant see down there. But I just spray the manifold bolts with PB.

Any other bits of advise? Maybe warm it up a little and break them loose with a breaker bar? On the fittings that screw into the manifold is there something I need to use, other than Teflon, to seal it?

Thanks,

Steven

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 454XLi exhaust manifold replacement 96 Carver 400

Postby km1125 » July 6th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Too bad that it's probably too tight of a fit to get an electric impact gun in there. That would be an ideal tool to use.

Try tightening the bolts ever-so-slightly before you loosen them and do this again as you start to loosen... one turn loose, then go back in 1/4 turn, then back out 1 turn, then in 1/4, etc, until they feel like they're coming out easily.

Also can try using a hammer tapping on the end of a wrench as a poor man's impact gun. You don't have to hit real hard but it's better than putting a huge breaker bar and leaning on it with all your weight.

and always remember... lefty loosey, righty tighty. Particularly when you're trying to do something while upside down and backwards!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » July 7th, 2019, 7:44 am

I saw a recent penetrating oil test and Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil came out on top. Kroil penetrating oil came out #2, a product I thought was number 1! Getting engine up to operating temperature before trying to loosen bolts may help or warming up the cast parts with a good heat gun around the bolts may help too. I'd ask a good marine mechanic the tricks of the trade on this.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » July 8th, 2019, 8:07 am

Thanks km and mjk.

I might see if I can get a Dewalt (Or the smallest I can find, with good ratings) cordless impact.

While at the store Ill check on the Liquid Wrench :)

I didnt get to work on it this weekend... We were going to take it out on the 4th to watch the fireworks from the bay when i noticed the "ticking" exhaust manifold. I have not found it yet, but it sounds and smells like its venting one cylinder into the cabin. But tonight I hope to at least get it off and cleaned up. Then do the other manifold/riser elbow in a week or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » July 10th, 2019, 11:30 am

Update - I drained the coolant for the manifold and removed the riser bolts and nuts. One bolt broke off. Thats ok since I am replacing the manifold.

I also removed 5 of the manifold bolts from the head. Only 3 remain. I soaked it for 3 days with PB Blaster, reapplying it generously, 4 times. Ill soak it 1 or 2 more times today, heat gun it, pray that the last 3 come out without breaking, and try to wiggle them out with a breaker bar.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 10th, 2019, 4:10 pm

What kind of gaskets do they come with for the manifold to head joint...looks like nice stuff.

Don't forget ...new plugs while you can get to them easily..... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » July 10th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Thanks bud.

I try to get all original Crusader parts. Even the gaskets and this one looks like white thick paper. (Asbestos?)

On another note I got it down to one stinken bolt and it looks rounded off by the previous owner/mechanic I didn't even get a chance to brake it off! Its on #5 cylinder. You can see the hole in the pic right next to the "round" bolt. I think the best thing to do is get an air chisel and knock the head off then remove the manifold and bolt. If it was on anything other than a fiberglass boat I would weld a nut on it. But my gas tank is 6 inches away and I don't want to die.

In fact im a survivor. I got diagnosed with a huge benign brain tumor and had it removed. 5 weeks radiation and 14 months chemo. By the grace of God I'm still kicken'. As I said, I don't want to die, literally. :-) but that's were I was when I stopped chatting on this forum for 2018.

Thanks

Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 10th, 2019, 8:58 pm

heh Steve...good for you, nice come back... :down: .....they have some hardened sockets now that are made , or so they say to bite into rounded bolts........check the other ones and see if they are hardened. One left heh, isn't that always the way.....the last one gets me every time, I even started changing the removal order but no dice......good luck man.. :-D

No asbestos gaskets anymore as far as I know.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » July 10th, 2019, 11:49 pm

I think these are the original 1996. They could be any carcinogenic material. FYI PB Blaster is carcinogenic according to California. I read the label. But so is used motor oil :-D

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 11th, 2019, 12:17 pm

You sure that's rounded off?? Looks like a 12 point bolt to me

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”