Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler genset fuel issue

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
bpritchett
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Mariner 3697

Kohler genset fuel issue

Postby bpritchett » September 9th, 2019, 9:24 am

Have a 1980s Kohler 7.5R27 that i suspect has a fuel pump issue. It will start and run sometimes if it has been sitting for a while, as you add load it has a tendency to die when it needs more fuel and wont start back up until it sits for a while. The pump does have the manual priming lever. Has anyone replaced this manual pump with an electronic pump? If so what model did you use? Has three fuel lines on existing pump.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Kohler genset fuel issue

Postby km1125 » September 9th, 2019, 11:19 am

Might check/replace the anti-siphon valve first, as it's an easy and cheap fix and usually needs to be addressed at some point anyways.

Topic author United States of America
bpritchett
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Mariner 3697

Postby bpritchett » September 9th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Thanks, Would the anti siphon valve just be in line of the inlet hose at the entry to the fuel pump or at the tank?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 9th, 2019, 1:31 pm

If you have one it should be at the tank fitting......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 9th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Yes, do check your anti siphon valve. I was having problems with my genset and that took care of it. Also, have you checked/replaced your fuel filter?

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » September 21st, 2019, 2:21 pm

When you suspect a fuel supply problem, use an outboard fuel tank with a primer bulb. This way you eliminate the boat fuel system and the fuel pump as issues. As I'm sure you already know the carb and fuel pump are no longer available from Kohler. However they did issue a service bulletin (TT-1557) about replacing the fuel pump with an electric pump. If you get to that point, let me know and I can send you a PDF of it.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”