Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Gas additives for an aluminum tank?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Gas additives for an aluminum tank?

Postby VicB » September 29th, 2019, 11:35 am

So I filled both gas tanks in the late Spring. Figured we would burn all the fuel in both tanks a couple of times over, during the summer. We didn't and I still have 60 gallons in both tanks. I have a starboard aluminum tank that was replaced in 2012 and an original (88') on the port. I didn't put any type of fuel additive in the tanks when I filled up. What would ya'll recommend using for winter layup and/or everyday use? Our fuel is 89 octane, non-ethanol. I guess my main concern is water / corrosion in my old tank.

Thanks,
Vic

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Gas additives for an aluminum tank?

Postby Cooler » September 29th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Many choices here. Stabil Marine is one, Sea Foam Marine, is another. My favorite is Star Tron because that formula is a little more towards octane preservation. Be careful your get gas treatment. Their diesel treatment is packaged similarly. Due to non-ethanol, that is the way I would go. Iam sure there are other options based on geographical market also. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Gas additives for an aluminum tank?

Postby Viper » September 29th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Any good brand fuel stabilizer will do. Read the label and ensure you get enough to treat the amount of fuel you have in each tank. Try to find one that will keep fuel fresh for at least 6 months.

Not much you can do about the water/condensation while she's laid up, though there are a lot of products that claim to get rid of the water. I don't know of any product that actually gets rid of water, they mix with it and the idea is to get a product that when mixed with water will also burn along with the fuel. Seafoam is a good product but not very good at doing that IMO, and leaves the water separated out. You also have to be careful with products that contain a lot of alcohol which could exacerbate the water problem if the treated fuel isn't used up in reasonable time. Also increasing the alcohol level in your fuel might start degrading some materials like rubber, seals, etc.

I've always had the best results with products that were labeled as water dispersants. When added to fuel at the beginning of the season, the water is put into suspension in tiny little droplets that the fuel system has no problem burning, but no product will have a lasting effect in your tank forever, the key is to burn it as soon as possible, and the more fuel you have in the tank in relation to water the better. There is a point where no product will doing a thing for a tank with too much water in it and the solution is to simply drain the tank. AND check your fuel/water separating filters often.

I don't worry about octane in the Fall but will add an octane booster in the Spring.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”