Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

454 Crusaders. Starboard will not go forward but will go reverse

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Gazookas
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 3607

454 Crusaders. Starboard will not go forward but will go reverse

Postby Gazookas » October 5th, 2019, 12:39 am

Quite a pickle. On my last trip out found that my starboard engine will not go forward but still goes reverse. The cable seems to move forward and reverse. Checked the transmission fluids and starboard was black and port was pink. Clearly replaced fluids in starboard. Still starboard will not go forward. Any advice?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: 454 Crusaders. Starboard will not go forward but will go reverse

Postby RGrew176 » October 5th, 2019, 2:13 am

I had the opposite problem with my transmission a few years ago. Mine was stuck in forward and would not go into reverse. In my case it was not the cable it was the transmission. The clutches fused and it would not go into neutral or reverse. A transmission rebuild took care of the problem.

Others here with more knowledge will be able to help. The black transmission fluid definitely scares me that it is something serious. Good luck.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 6th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Black fluid is not a good sign (of course!). Probably means it was slipping in you wore your FWD clutches out.

If you're really handy it's not too bad of a job to do. I did mine (also a 3607) about 25 years ago. The worst part is getting the trans and reduction gear out. I pulled them apart to help alleviate the weight.

A couple things you can check first though. One is a line pressure test (screw a gage in one of the top plugs) and the second is the screen at the bottom of the case. IIRC, you have to remove the lower hose and the fitting down there and pull out the screen inside. The screen may be plugged up (but that would probably affect reverse as well).

Also, check the cable adjustment and make sure it's PROPERLY going into the FWD and REV positions... it could be a bit off and only PARTIALLY going into FWD but enough into REV that it's engaging.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 7th, 2019, 6:39 am

Black fluid, smoked clutches would be my guess too. R&R the tranny appears to be in order.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 7th, 2019, 7:12 am

Dark fluid is a bad sign. As KM mentioned above, pressures can be checked and ensure you're getting full travel by the cable to engage the gear. You could disconnect the cable at the tranny and shift the lever by hand to ensure you're getting full travel.

Don't know which unit is being used here but if it incorporates a filter, the pump would be affect by a filter restriction in both fwd and rev, but you never know, I've seen stranger things happen.

Do you get shaft creep - shaft turning even when she's in neutral?

Keep us posted.

United States of America
Pit stop
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Trojan / Carver 370 express cruiser with twin 454 XL motors , velvet drive tranny's Walters "V" drives

Postby Pit stop » October 7th, 2019, 4:58 pm

If your fluid is black it is time for a rebuild or new one.
Sorry
Eric :usa:

United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 7th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Ours was a lack of neutral, it would go forward/reverse, but when in neutral, continued to spin forward. This was teh port side ZF63A trans which was operated "reverse" in order to have LH pitch prop.

I've researched and found that most of the cases of "trans" issues are related to "port" trans, operated in "reversed" mode. Things that make you go Hmmmm? Replaced trans, every thing working great!

I have the original trans, and will attempt a "rebuild" in the future as it only had 239hrs on it.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”