Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Propeller Question pitch and material

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Carver Propeller Question pitch and material

Postby Cliffm » November 12th, 2019, 12:34 pm

The wife and I have 2006 Carver 36MY with 8.1L VolvoPenta Gas motors. We're are the 3rd owners and currently moored in Elliot Bay Marina.

During our first dive hull maintenance by J&J diving, after scrubbing the boat and some of the Zincs they noted we had prop damage. J&J pulled props and sent to "the Prop Shop" in Mukilteo WA who trued and straightened them. I then called to ask "what are they?" as I could not find a definitive answer as to what was or should be installed on the boat from Carver. I had assumed we had 22x22 Nybrol 4-blade props , so i was surprised to find out we had 22x26 Bronze 4-Blade Props.

We had the port side ZF63A trans replaced last year, during the sale process, so I know the ratio is 2.5/1.

Those of you with similar boats, whats your prop & Pitch for comparison purposes? Obviously the Diesels have different gearing and different pitch.

Since this is a "big heavy boat" for gas motors, I'm just wondering if this is the best setup for us? I'm also wondering if it has been switched out from the factory OEM setup? Higher pitch, faster speed at lower RPM? Maybe a GPH change? It also answers my question as to why we struggle to get on plane (full gas tanks, full water tanks, several people doesn't help)

As always, looking forward to the feedback!

Cliff & Beth Mathison

United States of America
throwback2
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 28 Voyager,twin small blocks,1991 Shamrock,350 Chevy now.
1973 Atlantic Craft 15, 2004 2 smoke Merc 40,
and a few other water toys

Re: Carver Propeller Question pitch and material

Postby throwback2 » November 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm

What's the rpm at full throttle?

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » November 12th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I believe 4200rpm, if we were lucky to get there, I could be wrong. but will find out if the vibration has lessened?

I'm more interested in what others have/had on there boats when they got them/checked them.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 12th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Those do seem like a pretty large pitch. What's your boat weight?

I have a 36' 3607 at ~18,000 lbs dry with old 350 HP Crusaders and don't have any problem getting up on plane. I believe my reduction gears are 2.56:1 and I think I'm running 22x22 props.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 13th, 2019, 2:02 pm

If this vessel was a standard production unit, then the props were probably closer to 22X22. If it was being built for the original owner, there would have been optional props to pick from depending on how the original owner used the boat. Carver determines the best prop application based on typical or average user's requirements, and consultation with engine OEM. Best thing to do is call Carver with your hull #, and they will disclose what was on there when the boat departed their facility. To the best of my knowledge, all props on standard production models were brass. Nibral would have been installed if requested as an option. WOT is impacted approx 200 rpm per inch of pitch. You can calculate deviation from OEM specs for your engines. Your engines/transmissions are working harder due to the pitch increase. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » November 14th, 2019, 10:09 am

Thanks to all that have responded, it was my best guess that "stock" would have been 22x22, but I have visual confirmation showing stamping as 22x26" and "the prop shop" specs for being tuned to 22x26".

My guess is P.O/O.O had this done to increase speed at lower rpm in order to limit the gas guzzling by Volvo 8.1L TBI engines. Due to the 8.1L 375hp/450ftlbs torque, they may pull this off where as a 6.3L may not, requiring 22x22

I can see the struggle to get "on plane" with 22x26 vs 22x22, I also can see the "idle" speed being a bit higher than some due to higher pitch!

Again, thanks to all for the feedback, helping me increase my knowledge base.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » November 14th, 2019, 10:13 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Those do seem like a pretty large pitch. What's your boat weight?

I have a 36' 3607 at ~18,000 lbs dry with old 350 HP Crusaders and don't have any problem getting up on plane. I believe my reduction gears are 2.56:1 and I think I'm running 22x22 props.

36'11" 36MY 22,000lbs dry with twin Volvo 8.1L TBI tuned for torque/GPH 375hp/440 ftlbs, which are in the diesel realm as far as torque goes. May reduction gears same as yours.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » February 9th, 2020, 10:49 pm

I sent the HIN number to Carver, and received confirmation that the 22x26 bronze props were OEM for our vessel with WOT at 4200-4600 RPM

2006 Carved 36MY Volvo 8.1 Gi

United States of America
SteveBaker
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 28 ft Voyager.

Postby SteveBaker » July 12th, 2023, 11:14 am

May I ask how / where you were able to contact Carver? I need to get the OEM for my props. Thanks.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 12th, 2023, 12:18 pm

That post is over 3 years old.......before Carver finally failed, they no longer exist. A good prop shop should have some info, but in reality prop specs can be different from what the boat was shipped with......new boat pre delivery performance trial etc etc.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”