Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel Filter Count and Location

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Fuel Filter Count and Location

Postby Viper » June 15th, 2022, 10:16 pm

There's really no special trick but a few things you should be aware of. You shouldn't have to tighten so much that you risk deforming the fitting. That'll usually happen even before you strip it trying to stop a leak. Using a good line wrench really helps as it does a better job of distributing the load around the fitting over a regular open end wrench, and always put a second wrench on the other end where applicable. You should also be aware that while aftermarket hardware may cross reference to the OEM part, subtle differences may exist that can cause problems. One thing I've run into more than once for example when flared fittings are involved is that the flares can be at a slightly different angle. With that, try as you might to stop it from leaking you won't be able to. Another thing to keep in mind is to check the fitting mating surfaces for imperfections. Aftermarket milling is often sub par here but I've caught this in OEM product as well, so as long as you're aware the problem might exist, you can save yourself a lot of headaches by simply inspecting before assembly.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 16th, 2022, 5:15 pm

Just to add, I have never seen or installed an electric fuel pump ( auto/marine ) that did not have some sort of screen filter on the suction side of the pump to keep debris out.....good yours was cleanable.

The fittings now are still bad in my opinion, most are offshore and the thread fits are far from accurate. Recently went thru 6 brass fittings to get one that would not leak when tight ( tape or thread sealer )....fyi....be careful with thread tape, you can split fittings if you over tighten with too much tape. Fuel vapor can even get past a fitting where there is no obvious liquid leak.

Upon checking the threads with a magnifier, I could see where the thread machine stopped, there was a distinct line and that is where the leak came from...... Also what viper said about the inverted flares not matching is also an issue with offshore stuff, very disappointing and frustrating.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » June 16th, 2022, 11:19 pm

Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it. Sounds like a go slow, use good tools (which I have), and inspect before installing. I am also going to use a sharpie to make some lines on the pipes hoping that will give me a little more direction during reassembly.

The pump came today. Took it out of the box and that’s about it. We are heading to Chicago to watch the sailing GP races this weekend so I won’t get a chance to look at it in any detail until next week.

Is pipe tape or pipe dope advised for this? I didn’t use any on my failed attempt in 2020. I don’t think the marina kid used any. They just charged a flat hour for the hour he was in the bilge.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 17th, 2022, 7:31 am

You shouldn't need any thread seal on a flared fitting but if you want to use something, use a cream type fuel rated product, not tape. I'll take a look at the one I use, I can't remember but I think it's Permatex or Loctite that comes in a white tube.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”