Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel Filter Count and Location

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Fuel Filter Count and Location

Postby chpsk8 » June 15th, 2020, 1:35 pm

I am troubleshooting a slight stumble mid RPMs, and wanted to eliminate any fuel delivery problems.
Motors are 1995 Crusader 7.4 XLi's
Port side is where we're having the stumble, it's roughly around the same RPMs, but doesn't happen right away, or even consistently... Sometimes it doesn't do it all weekend. When it does act up it limits our speed to 9mph.
I did a tune up with plugs/cap/rotor/wires, but didn't drive it much more than an hour after that before the snow fell. I figured changing out the fuel filters would be smart to do also. I haven't done that since I bought the boat a couple years ago.

I located a fuel parts diagram, but it doesn't seem to line up with what I have. I should be seeing a donut shaped round fuel filter screen setup below the fuel water separator and I don't see one. I traced some lines, but they go from the fuel distribution panel to the filter and then to the pump. I will admit that I only spent about 5 minutes with my head upside down in the bilge, but based on the diagram I was expecting to see a donut looking filter down there somewhere obvious.

I was looking at a crusader manual, so it's possible when Carver added the distribution panel that it eliminated that filter.
Does anyone have any pictures of where the fuel filters are and how many per motor there are?

Still waiting on my trans rebuild, so I have some time to mess around with this.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Fuel Filter Count and Location

Postby g36 » June 15th, 2020, 2:03 pm

From fuel selector valves #1 is a 4" round filter which is this.... https://www.jegs.com/i/Oberg-Filters/706/4028U/10002/-1
Next in line is a water separator filter looks like this ....https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--1 ... or--108664 and last
There is a inline cannister filter at the tbi....https://www.go2marine.com/Fuel-Filter-R ... ader-23250
All are on stbd side of engine oberg down low,water seperstor mid height and cannister right next to tbi
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate

Postby chpsk8 » June 15th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Thanks G, I'll have to look again, that donut thing does not stand out in my setup at all. I'd love to find it and clean it out if it does exist. I was talking with a mechanic and he said he chased a similar problem all summer and found that filter to be the issue. Problem is they are so busy he can't take the time to help out. I'm reasonably handy so I figured I'd try.
I'll go back this weekend and take some pictures if I can't figure it out. Thanks for confirming it might exist..

off to chase ghosts again....

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 15th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Yes it needs to be found because they restrict the flow of fuel rather quickly. Its surprising how small amount of crap on this screen will affect performance.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 15th, 2020, 10:01 pm

It may differ after minor modifications in their builds but check under the on board Racor filter on the same mounting bracket. It'll be a black puck with a nut & bolt in the middle.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » June 17th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post It may differ after minor modifications in their builds but check under the on board Racor filter on the same mounting bracket. It'll be a black puck with a nut & bolt in the middle.

I have the same water fuel separator. (110A) I can’t get the nut loose on the bottom. I have tried a pipe over the end of my wrench, but just can’t seem to get it off. I am concerned about snapping it off where it is attached to the engine. I was able to drain the water out of the bottom. Any thoughts on how to loosen?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 17th, 2020, 10:47 pm

You can try penetrating oil or a product like Freeze-Off or PB B'laster. If it doesn't come out with that, do yourself a favour and replace the assembly. The last thing you want to do is bend the bracket or warp the housing and cause other issues like leaks or runability problems.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » June 18th, 2020, 9:49 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post You can try penetrating oil or a product like Freeze-Off or PB B'laster. If it doesn't come out with that, do yourself a favour and replace the assembly. The last thing you want to do is bend the bracket or warp the housing and cause other issues like leaks or runability problems.

Ok. I will order two new ones.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » June 18th, 2020, 9:53 am

Nharrison5 wrote:Source of the post
Viper wrote:Source of the post You can try penetrating oil or a product like Freeze-Off or PB B'laster. If it doesn't come out with that, do yourself a favour and replace the assembly. The last thing you want to do is bend the bracket or warp the housing and cause other issues like leaks or runability problems.

Ok. I will order two new ones. Is the canister supposed to be just hand tightened? Again, it is a Racor 110a that I changed the filters on two years ago. Just curious, so that I don’t create a problem with the new ones.

chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate

Postby chpsk8 » June 18th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Quick follow up - I got a call yesterday that they were buttoning up my trans rebuild (more on that in my other thread) so I asked them while they were in there if they could trace that filter that they mentioned earlier if they had the time.
Got an email this morning that the donut had been removed and replaced with an inline filter by someone. They changed those inline filters so we're good now.
A. I'm not crazy and really didn't see it because it didn't exist. :-D
B. Woohoo! Glad they found it and replaced it, that's the last bit of last falls tune up I wanted to get done.

Launching tomorrow, I'll follow up to report back on the trans whine that should be gone now.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”