Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Replacement on 355 Aft

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Jasonm71
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 355 Aft Cabin

Engine Replacement on 355 Aft

Postby Jasonm71 » July 2nd, 2020, 2:36 pm

Hey everyone

First post here.

This is my second carver. I inherited a 91 355 Aft Cabin from my brother in law who passed away a year ago.

Short version, a belt snapped when he was underway and didn’t catch it until too late and overheated and blew the port engine.

He used to build race engines, so he bought a complete replacement engine to install himself. We removed the old engine and I have an engine to install. Problem is, I don’t have his skills or talent, so I need someone to do this for me.

Any ballpark on how much this would cost?

United States of America
VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Re: Engine Replacement on 355 Aft

Postby VicB » July 2nd, 2020, 4:40 pm

This is not helpful for you I know, but I know we probably all would love you to chronicle it with pics or video. It’s going to be really interesting for whoever does it.

Canada
BLKay
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355, twin Mercruiser 454 GM

Postby BLKay » August 24th, 2020, 4:47 pm

YES, VicB is bang on. Jasonm71 please take photos on how this is done. I was told by the current owner of a 355 you take the side windows out? Of course take all the fittings, manifolds etc off the engine. Pull the window? Have the boat hauled? crane through the window... remove and replace... back in the water and put it all back together.
Sounds like FUN? How much is a rebuilt 454? I see Mercruiser has about $7000 us on their site. So about 10 grand Canadian. There must be better choices than this. I am from around the Vancouver area. (go Canucks)
1998 Carver 355 aft Cabin - 454 Mercruisers

United States of America
True-North
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 355 Aft Cabin, lower helm station, Crusader 454 XLi engines, owner since 2007.

Postby True-North » September 10th, 2020, 2:51 pm

I have done this on our boat. I completely stripped the engine down to the bare block but left the intake manifold on while the engine was in its mounts. After that, we had a small crane come through the side window to lift it out of the compartment and set it on the salon floor, directly in front of the main cabin door. I then removed the main cabin door and the Crain came in from the stern and lifted the block out through the main cabin entrance. There was about 1/2” clearance on both sides, very snug fit. I brought the Crusader block to my local engine remanufacturer and had them remanufacture my block for $3,500 U.S.

Good luck!

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » September 11th, 2020, 9:50 am

Do a YouTube search on carver engine replace. You will find 4 or more videos from a guy that has done it and shows how. Its not a easy or fun job but it can be done. If you dont have the skill or comfort level to do it yourself then you have no choice but to hire it done and thats going to cost you... You may get lucky and find someone locally that will do it for a bargain price but remember that most of the time "you get what you pay for". Ask around locally and maybe you can find that "old retired mechanic guy" that will do it during the off-season and not charge you a arm and leg?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”