Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

engine alarm

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: engine alarm

Postby bud37 » August 3rd, 2020, 4:19 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post That bolded part is not really true.

When you apply the caveat I wrote about poorly tuned it is,........I can't see in the this case how there would be over 25000 PPM CO to set the sensor off at the LEL in the engine compartment without some seriously obvious disaster, which according to him he does not have.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 4th, 2020, 2:44 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post That bolded part is not really true.

When you apply the caveat I wrote about poorly tuned it is,........I can't see in the this case how there would be over 25000 PPM CO to set the sensor off at the LEL in the engine compartment without some seriously obvious disaster, which according to him he does not have.

Well, I can tell you my personal experience is that on two different occasions I've had exhaust leaks over the years on an engine that would certainly not be considered "poorly tuned" and it did set off the combustible gas sensor from the exhaust gases. There is always a small bit of unburnt gasoline in the exhaust (unless you have a catalyst to burn that off) and there is also a substantial amount of Carbon Monoxide. Between the two, it's very easy to get over 10% of the LEL.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 4th, 2020, 6:39 pm

That is pretty much what I said.....not sure why we are arguing about the same thing...it is about 20% lel, but with each makers unit the spec may just be a bit different, but there may be a reg here...... As with any gas testing there are circumstances specific to each case that alter the way the case is handled.
Let's get back to the issue here when he finds out for sure what alarm he has got going.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”