Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

engine alarm

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: engine alarm

Postby waybomb » July 31st, 2020, 9:58 pm

It's a sniffer, not ultrasonic. 12/22 calibrated
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
Farwellplsw.
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 carver 46 MY

Postby Farwellplsw. » August 1st, 2020, 10:42 am

I just purchased a 2005 Carver 46, with 400 engine hours. Recently when I start the Port Engine, all is fine. When I start the Starboard Engine the audible alarm sounds and the RED BATTERY light comes on. ? Frustrating. Any ideas?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 1st, 2020, 6:51 pm

Farwellplsw. wrote:Source of the post I just purchased a 2005 Carver 46, with 400 engine hours. Recently when I start the Port Engine, all is fine. When I start the Starboard Engine the audible alarm sounds and the RED BATTERY light comes on. ? Frustrating. Any ideas?

Welcome.....a new thread for your issue would get a better response......could you say what engine package you have.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 1st, 2020, 7:03 pm

LAZ wrote:Source of the post Thanks guys for all guidance. Pretty sure it is just a gas and propane leak and battery issue detector, but I could find no evidence of any. If it is a faulty sensor issue, does it make sense that they would only go off over 1600 RPM? Don't believe I have a specific "engine" alarm, but will check manuals.

Back to the original issue......

LAZ ,you asked if the sensors could just be bad....anything is possible BUT, because these are safety alarms that are there to warn you of a potentially dangerous situation, you will have to assume that the alarms are on for a reason and correctly alarming until you can prove otherwise. Always consider the alarm as correct.

Now that said, sensors have useful life spans and also require proper testing to verify their accurate operation. If /when you find these things , and they look greasy and old assume the worst and get a new system. My advice would be to replace them anyway unless you are trained on how to correctly test operation.

If and when you find them take a pic and someone may recognize the make and model. Good luck man and be safe.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » August 2nd, 2020, 8:34 am

Sounds like it could be transmission related. Check fluid. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 3rd, 2020, 10:52 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Just to add to the previous....fume detectors are looking for explosive gases , examples are gasoline fumes, propane gas, hydrogen from off gassing batteries etc....except for the hydrogen which is lighter than air, both the gasoline and propane fumes are more dense than air so they will be located in the lowest part of the bilge, that is where the detector sensor should be. They are set to alarm at around 20 % of the LEL ( lower explosive limit ), long before there is enough concentration for ignition.

Exhaust fumes on the other hand will only set one of those off if the engine is poorly tuned ( running rich ) to the point of raw gas in the exhaust fume and you have an exhaust leak in the compartment.

Like has been said it is very important you figure out what alarm you are hearing so you are safe here.

That bolded part is not really true. On most engines and exhaust leak will set off an explosive gas detector. Only on more modern closed-loop engines (with a catalytic converter) will the levels be so low in the exhaust that they won't get one off. Carbon Monoxide is also an explosive gas (trivia: you can actually run most four stroke motors just on carbon monoxide gas!!). Getting a carb'd engine exactly correct to minimize excess hydrocarbons and also carbon monoxide is nearly impossible.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 3rd, 2020, 11:10 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post.... Getting a carb'd engine exactly correct to minimize excess hydrocarbons and also carbon monoxide is nearly impossible.

That goes for all internal combustion engines including EFI and catalyst. The key word here is "minimize"

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 3rd, 2020, 3:26 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post.... Getting a carb'd engine exactly correct to minimize excess hydrocarbons and also carbon monoxide is nearly impossible.

That goes for all internal combustion engines including EFI and catalyst. The key word here is "minimize"

With closed loop and a catalyst, you can definitely minimize it, you just can't eliminate it. With carbs it's tough to even minimize unless you're running pretty lean. What's funny on EFI closed loop systems is that they intentionally don't run as lean as they could because they're relying on an O2 sensorto make sure they're running as close to stoich as possible and not as lean as possible (which would greatly reduce CO).

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 3rd, 2020, 4:14 pm

It's a balancing act for sure, on one hand you have to consider the environment, and on the other you want performance and don't want to damage the engine.

We just need to find some Dilithium ;-)

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 3rd, 2020, 4:17 pm

Do you guys see a lot of catalyst applications down there? I've been on several but they're not that prominent up here yet. They sure add to the price tag but are getting cheaper.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”