Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anyone have any info on adjusting carburetor (fuel air mixture) and idle. 1993 Crusader 350XL

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
LUCKY RUBY
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: LUCKY RUBY- 1993 Mariner 330 with twin 350 Crusader's

Anyone have any info on adjusting carburetor (fuel air mixture) and idle. 1993 Crusader 350XL

Postby LUCKY RUBY » September 19th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Greetings all,

I have been enjoying the forum this past year. It has answered a lot of questions for me regarding my 1993 Carver Mariner with twin Crusader's 350XL's (small block)

I am in search of a site, youtube video etc. or if anyone here can provide information on adjusting the carbs on my Crusader's to make sure I have the proper fuel/air mix and idle.

Thank you, Michael S
Tierra Verde, FL.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anyone have any info on adjusting carburetor (fuel air mixture) and idle. 1993 Crusader 350XL

Postby km1125 » September 20th, 2020, 11:05 am

I'm surprised those aren't injected motors.

Do you know what kind of carbs are on it?

Doing a boat is no different than doing a car.

My process (on an unknown-to-me engine) is to first find out where the mixture adjustments are at. Turn them in one at a time and count how how many turns on each and then turn them back out to their original settings. They should be pretty close to the same. Record those numbers in case you have to go back to them. Run the engine, get it up to operating temp.

You could be confident that the timing is correct and the advance is working correct. If there is any doubt, check this first as it will have a huge impact on idle quality.

Set the engine to recommended idle. Double check to see if the idle is set 'in gear' or in neutral and set it appropriately.

If the mixture screws were very similar, you can start on either one, but if one was out more turns than the other, start with that one and start turning it in gradually, watching the RPMs and listening to the motor. When you start to see a drop in RPM or hear some missing, turn back out about 1/8 and go do the other mixture screw. Readjust idle as necessary and repeat the process.

Topic author United States of America
LUCKY RUBY
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: LUCKY RUBY- 1993 Mariner 330 with twin 350 Crusader's

Re: Anyone have any info on adjusting carburetor (fuel air mixture) and idle. 1993 Crusader 350XL

Postby LUCKY RUBY » December 4th, 2020, 11:33 am

@km1125 Unfortunately not FI I really appreciate the advice, thanks for taking the time.

United States of America
Tommyfmu
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 325 Aft Cabin Motoryacht

Postby Tommyfmu » March 26th, 2021, 1:37 pm

If it's a standard 650 cfm double pumper like Holley, Rochester, or Edelbrock, from a starting point both mixture screws should be 1 1/2 turns out. If adjustments have to be made due to running too lean or rich, then 1/4 turns at a time. Both sides need to be equally turned in or out. That's what my carb-rebuilder explained to me.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”