Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Help with 355 tranny

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
BLKay
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355, twin Mercruiser 454 GM

Help with 355 tranny

Postby BLKay » September 30th, 2020, 10:53 am

Hello. My 355 tranny slips and revs out only after running for 15 minutes. 2 questions.

1. It was suggested it may be overheating. Could this be the cause? My next run I’ll put a laser temp huge on it and compare with the other. What should the temp be?
2. If not, tranny removal. Can this be done in the water and what are the instructions to do so? I’m concerned about the prop shaft and have been told several different things, including my boat might sink. It has drip less seals and the 355 has long shafts supported by a bearing support below the boat.

I’d like to know for sure and not just suggestions please. Also one of the Hull valves is stuck open and should be changed on my next haul out.
1998 Carver 355 aft Cabin - 454 Mercruisers

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Help with 355 tranny

Postby tomschauer » September 30th, 2020, 11:06 am

First verify the fluid is full and clean. If it is "burnt" you most likely lost some clutches and need repair. If the fluid is full and clean I would check the shift linkage at the transmission to make sure it is engaging fully into forward and reverse.

If you need to pull it, it can be done in the water if needed. Put a large clamp on the propshaft so it can only move an inch or two to gain clearance from the tranny. Even if you don't do this, the rudder will stop the propshaft from "falling out of the boat" and sinking the boat.
You also need to support the back of the engine before unbolting the tranny.

Parts are readily available and relatively inexpensive for rebuilding the BW velvet drives.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 1st, 2020, 9:20 am

When they rebuilt my port side transmission a few years ago it was easier for them to pull both the engine and transmission together.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » October 1st, 2020, 5:26 pm

I just had the starboard trans out of my boat this spring. It was done out of the water, but could have easily been done in the water. Full rebuild with seals and clutches/etc was $1800 plus labor to pull and put it back in.
They did have to lift one side of the engine to get the trans out, so the engine mount will need to be disconnected. They also removed some cooling lines.
I would suggest the first thing you do is pull the oil out and put new fluid in. Let it swirl around in there for a bit, then do it again. If it's losing thrust after time it could be the oil is either old, or wrong. Could be your clutch is starting to slip and is worn. How many hours do you have on the motors?

United States of America
AnamCara
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 356
Crusader 7.4L MPI
7.3kw Kohler

Postby AnamCara » October 7th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Its easier to pull the engine to get the trans off. I did it last winter using an aluminum gantry set up in the cabin.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”