Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Best way to remove sludge from engine?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Best way to remove sludge from engine?

Postby VicB » October 27th, 2020, 6:27 pm

I just got through replacing valve stem seals (puffing blue smoke on start up) on a 88’ crusader 454. 12 out of the 16 seals were split down the middle. Due to the oil leaking on top of the valves, I noticed a lot of sludge on the top of the intake valves. Guessing the exhaust valves may be the same. Does anybody have recommendations to clean these up? I’ve read some about Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil. Will it take care of itself after run a while?
Thanks,
Vic

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Best way to remove sludge from engine?

Postby bud37 » October 27th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Usually the additives in the gas will take care of it.....there are some things to add to the gas but there seems to be a lot of cleaners in fuel nowadays without the extra additives.... IMO.

Exhaust side is pressure so should be ok......intake is suction so that pulls the oil in.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 27th, 2020, 11:07 pm

I agree with Bud's comments.

A related note though. Years ago at an local automotive assembly plant they had a "house" vehicle they would use in their fleet for a lot of local errands. They would usually fuel it with the same fuel that was put in the cars leaving the assembly line. That fuel was "stabilized" using something like Stabil because they didn't know how long the cars were going to sit on lots or in shipments. The constant use in their 'house' car cause huge deposits to form on the intake valves. It took them a couple cycles of removing heads and cleaning valves before they figured it out.

Topic author United States of America
VicB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Postby VicB » October 28th, 2020, 9:07 pm

Sounds like the most reasonable thing to do is just run it with clean fuel and regular oil changes. I like that idea the best anyway.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”