Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Strange Starting Issue

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Delorean6855
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Mariner Three Sixty, Crusader 6.0s w/225 hours, Koehler 7_3e genset

Strange Starting Issue

Postby Delorean6855 » November 22nd, 2020, 11:05 am

Hello, recently joined the forum and grateful it exists!
Have a 2004 Mariner 360 w/6.0 Crusaders. Went to start them up the other day and the port engine would crank but would not start. When turning the ignition to ON, no audible alarms could be heard and the malfunction lights did not illuminate either. Puzzled over it for a bit, checked the usual stuff and just on a whim, I advanced the throttle to full and back to idle...and the alarm beeped and the lights went on. Cranked it and engine fired up right away. So am perplexed...the only thing moving the throttle would affect is the throttle position sensor... is it possible that there is a short or something in that which is causing a power loss to the ECM et al? Anyone else encounter a similar experience? Thanks!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Strange Starting Issue

Postby bud37 » November 22nd, 2020, 12:47 pm

Welcome to the forum.......well that is very interesting.......I will just throw out an opinion here.

My guess if the tps is shorted somehow then it would shut the engine down on return to idle. The ECU you have may have a reset function, and I say may have...that would require Key on then advance throttle to max and back. Just a guess unless what happened was just a coincidence.You are partially right, the ECU would see the TPS advance to max and back.

There is lots of info online about the ecu functions of your particular version with some quite complicated explanations of all the interactions in the control circuits.

Have you operated the boat boat since ?....in the meantime, check all your grounds and connections....if something further goes on you will have to do that anyway.....good luck.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Delorean6855
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Mariner Three Sixty, Crusader 6.0s w/225 hours, Koehler 7_3e genset

Postby Delorean6855 » August 22nd, 2022, 12:20 pm

Thought I should update this... the issue turned out to be the FireBoy control board. Once replaced, issue never returned...

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 22nd, 2022, 2:30 pm

Delorean6855 wrote:Source of the post Thought I should update this... the issue turned out to be the FireBoy control board. Once replaced, issue never returned...

That's interesting. Thanks for posting the update.

I wonder if moving the throttle was some kind of code for "clear error" to the fireboy board or an "ignore fireboy" command to the ECU?

Delorean6855
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Delorean6855 » August 22nd, 2022, 2:37 pm

Wish I knew...but the board was somehow cutting the 12v ignition between the key and the engine. It was very random but kept getting worse. Now I trying to figure out an the idle hunt (on every start) issue on both engines... I think I spend more time doing repairs and maintenance than actually using the boat :confused:

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”