Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

10E Koehler Generator Overhaul

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

10E Koehler Generator Overhaul

Postby Serendipity » February 9th, 2021, 2:43 pm

I have about 700 hours on the generator. Fluids, plugs, new carburetor etc were changed 2 years ago and about 100 hours.

I am wanting to replace the impeller, all the hoses, and anything else ya might suggest. I see where I can purchase the impeller and maintenance kit online. Just curious if ya had a preferred place to do business with.

Even after the mechanic in TX put the new carburetor on, the engine seems to hunt and peck as we called it back in my day. It like a Idle Control Valve is stuck on a fuel injected car engine that revs up and falls back down in rpms. Would this 10E model have such a thing on it and if not, what would cause the carburetor arm to jerk back and forth. It runs fine as long as I hold the arm, but goes back to jerking 10 second after I let go. Then at other times, it runs fine which is weird.

Thanks Gentlemen :worthy: :usa: :help:

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 10E Koehler Generator Overhaul

Postby g36 » February 9th, 2021, 2:47 pm

I have the same genset. I would just search prices online with the impeller part number and purchase wherever is best priced. Amazon,eBay defender marine, wholesale marine etcetera. As far as the up and down hunting there is a chock adjustment on the carb that you loosen two screws and can rotate it a little it took care of my problem with hunting.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 9th, 2021, 5:23 pm

A bad anti-siphon valve (or one starting to go bad) can cause a lot of issues. It did with me and others here have said the same thing.

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » February 10th, 2021, 7:20 am

And plugs are notorious for fouling on generators if run without a load.
Never let your genset just idle with no or very low load.
My guess is change the plugs and it will cure your problems.

I buy from whatever place is cheapest by doing a google shopping search for the parts you need.

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Postby KeithS » February 15th, 2021, 1:50 pm

The 10E has an electronic throttle control. If the linkage and the actuator are free and the carb is properly adjusted, it may need a gain adjustment on the throttle controller. Too low an adjustment and it will "hunt", too high and it will overspeed and shut down.

Topic author United States of America
Serendipity
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

Postby Serendipity » March 29th, 2021, 9:44 pm

KeithS,
Where is the throttle controller located please :help: :usa:

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”