Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Questions regarding 84 aft cabin

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Dad Joke
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: None yet

Questions regarding 84 aft cabin

Postby Dad Joke » March 19th, 2021, 5:04 am

Does anyone here have a spec on the transmission used on this boat and a link to an online shop manual for them?

Which engine spins in the conventional direction (same as automotive application)? and which spins opposite?

Thanks.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Re: Questions regarding 84 aft cabin

Postby Phrancus » March 19th, 2021, 6:12 am

Welcome, it will help if you describe more specific what your boat is equipped with as there were variations in layout, engine(s), drives and so on.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 19th, 2021, 7:02 am

Hi Dad! if it's a straight shaft application (no V drive), the standard rotation engine will be on the port side and the counter-rotator on the starboard side.

Are the transmissions missing? The boat model and engine info would help. Hopefully a member with the same model will chime in with the info you need. Also a call to Carver with the hull number will lead to what she was equipped with when she left the factory. It's likely a Velvet Drive 72C, but gear ratio is important.

Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby denders » March 19th, 2021, 8:21 am

There may be a plate on the transmission - something like this from our previous 83 carver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
Dad Joke
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: None yet

Postby Dad Joke » March 19th, 2021, 8:28 am

It has 2 Crusader 270hp 350ci engines. Straight drive, not V-drive.

The reason for all these questions is because the port engine is seized. The engine that turns opposite from conventional will be more expensive to replace. It sounds like the port engine would be the less expensive one to replace, based on Viper's response.

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » March 19th, 2021, 11:40 am

I have a 1990 aft cabin 3607 with twin Mercruiser engines 7.4L (454 ci). Both of my engines rotate the same direction, the propeller rotation on one side is change by the transmission. You could take a look at the order fire of the spark plugs to see if you engines are the same or if one is built to run opposite.

I do wonder that even if you do have opposing engines, I wonder if you could simply use a normal rotation engine and setup you transmission to run backwards? Maybe someone else on the forum could answer that? Basically replicate what my boat is doing?

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 19th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Dad - the spec plate on your engine should have a model number on it. The model number has a R or L listed on it. R = right, L = left. Left turning engine is normally on the starboard side. Model looks like "CM350L". If you have the original warranty card in your possession, the model numbers are also listed there. Hope that helps. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 19th, 2021, 1:50 pm

you can sometimes also look at the timing marks to see which direction is "BTDC" and "ATDC" to determine which way the engine rotates. These pics are for a 454 ci Crusader, but other engines are similar.

crusader_timing_marks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 19th, 2021, 4:25 pm

RobGunn wrote:Source of the post I have a 1990 aft cabin 3607 with twin Mercruiser engines 7.4L (454 ci). Both of my engines rotate the same direction, the propeller rotation on one side is change by the transmission......
Pretty sure that's not the case on an '84

RobGunn wrote:Source of the post.... I do wonder that even if you do have opposing engines, I wonder if you could simply use a normal rotation engine and setup you transmission to run backwards? Maybe someone else on the forum could answer that? Basically replicate what my boat is doing?
Doable with more modern transmissions but not of that era, that's why the counter rotating engine was used.

If there's a re-power in order, go with standard rotating engines, and newer tannys that will run under full load in either direction.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 21st, 2021, 11:25 am

Dad Joke wrote:Source of the post It has 2 Crusader 270hp 350ci engines. Straight drive, not V-drive.

The reason for all these questions is because the port engine is seized. The engine that turns opposite from conventional will be more expensive to replace. It sounds like the port engine would be the less expensive one to replace, based on Viper's response.

Welcome Dad.....can I ask you a question ?......Let's say all is well and this boat passes the hull and deck survey with flying colors.....now the big question, how much would you consider spending on the mechanical ++ refit and how long will you keep the boat after the refit ??

Reason I ask ,if it were me considering the one engine is locked and there is no telling what the shape of the other or both trans are , I would do a complete both side repower with the trans to upgrade to newer reliable equipment, but only if you are going to keep this boat for a fairly long time. Yeah I know it is easy for me to spend your money but it is just one thing to consider along with what the finished product is actually worth on the market should you change direction.......good luck going forward, these adventures can be alot of fun.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”