Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Electric Fuel pumps

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Electric Fuel pumps

Postby tonyiiiafl » April 11th, 2021, 11:07 pm

Has anyone installed electric fuel pumps on a Gen V 7.4 Mercruiser? I have the mechanical fuel pump on the sea water pump. Getting tired of changing the 90 weight inside each year, due to recommendations and thinning out.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Electric Fuel pumps

Postby Midnightsun » April 12th, 2021, 5:27 am

It can be done. I had a 1993 Bayliner 2855 with a Mercruiser 7.4. Not familiar with what was involved but my mechanic at the time did install an electric fuel pump. Not following you regarding changing the 90 weight?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 12th, 2021, 7:18 am

The fuel pump is mounted onto the sea water pump and has an oil reservoir. The oil needs to be changed as part of regular maintenance. This assembly was a temporary patch to accommodate GM blocks that were redesigned for EFI and didn't have the means to run a mechanical pump. There were a couple of reasons for Mercs slow roll out of EFI engines and this allowed them to extend that period while still being able to use GM's new blocks.

You can retrofit to an electric pump with some additional wiring and you must add another oil pressure switch designed for this purpose to make it legal. This kills the pump in the event there's an unintentional engine shutdown.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 12th, 2021, 8:10 am

My 7.4 did not have injection, one of those pump the throttle models. Is this why I do not remember having an oil reservoir for the pump or is my memory just not up to snuff?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » April 12th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Where the fuel pump mounts to the sea water pump is a small reservoir that hold a few ounces of 90W to lubricate the cam to fuel pump arm. Just a pita when I remove the pump for impeller service. Once the fuel pump is gone there is no need to change the gear lube.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”