Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Different shaft rotational resistance

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Superg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin
Harbored in Lake St. Clair, MI

Different shaft rotational resistance

Postby Superg » April 17th, 2021, 9:43 pm

The port prop shaft in my 1985 3207 with crusader 270s offers more resistance to turning than the starboard shaft. The starboard shaft rotates quite easily by hand whereas the port shaft has noticably more resistance to it. Not crazy, but is definitely noticeable.

The marina mechanic said my starboard side cutlass bearing could use replacing. There isn't much movement in my opinion to warrant replacing yet, but in any case, that is the side that turns more easily, which doesn't make sense to me.

Could it be something in the port engine or transmission that is causing greater resistance?
John T.
New Boat Owner (so lots to learn)
1985 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin
Harbored in St Clair Shores, MI

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Different shaft rotational resistance

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2021, 10:22 am

Before one jumps to any conclusions, the strut bearings must be wet when turning the shafts (a practice often ignored when checking). This lubricates the mating surfaces so there is minimal friction between the rubber and steel. A shaft usually turns easier in a worn bearing due to less surface contact providing everything is aligned properly. On that note, the one that is more difficult to turn may not be properly aligned. The transmission or engine would be the last thing to consider. Also consider that on land, your hull may warp a bit on blocks which can throw your alignment off, hence the need to allow the hull to rest in the water for 24-48 hours prior to doing a final alignment at the coupler. Because final alignment is done in the water, the best you can do on the outside while blocked, is to ensure the strut is reasonably aligned with the shaft tube through the hull, this is best done with the coupler disconnected from the tranny so that it's not influenced by the position of the engine. If the strut to tube alignment is within reason on blocks, if it changes a bit once the hull rests in the water, there should be room for the final alignment of the engine.

Superg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Superg » April 18th, 2021, 10:50 am

Most excelllent. Thank you!
Given that I've not had the alignment checked since purchasing the boat four years ago, I will put it on the list for the marina to do this season once it has sat in the water.
John T.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 18th, 2021, 12:39 pm

To add...inspect how the shaft is centered in the strut bearing as well.....you can see off center wear, if it is present the bearing material will be worn more on one side or the other, or up and down. As viper said when the boat is blocked , depending on the blocking skills of the yard , you have to be careful drawing conclusions from just one thing. Boats flex a fair bit, more than one would think.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Superg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Superg » April 29th, 2021, 12:35 am

Looks centered, thank you. Spoke with mechanic, and he thought it is not enough of an issue to warrant addressing, and that I would definitely feel a vibration if something was out of alignment. That said, once the lake warms up, I'm going to dive in on a clear day and try rotating them by hand with the boat in the water.
John T.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”